Author Topic: Brake pads for disc brake AC Ace  (Read 3240 times)

AK1161

• View Profile
Brake pads for disc brake AC Ace
« on: February 20, 2019, 19:57:29 »
Does anybody have a reference number for brake pads on a "57 Ace and any advice on particular compounds.
Thanks as ever in advance for any info.
Luke

Norman

• View Profile
Re: Brake pads for disc brake AC Ace
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:13:09 »
The pads are the same as used in the Triumph TR3A and are pretty easy to source. I use EBC Greenstuff on my Ace 2.6, they give a little more bite than the originals despite being a slightly smaller contact area. EBC also offer another compound called Yellowstuff, can't comment on that as I haven't tried it.

If you can get hold of any, replace the anti-rattle springs at the same time as the pads, as they tend to rust.

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:24:06 »
Just thought of another point: the EBC Greenstuff pads do seem more prone to sticking to the disc if the car is not used for a while, don't know if this is peculiar to this compound or whether all non-asbestos pads have this tendency. To avoid rust marks on discs, it's a good idea to roll the car back and forth every week or two while it's laid up. And buy a dehumidifier.

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 12:54:51 »
My personal opinion on changing parts of the car, is don't. Unless you need to upgrade them (i.e. the current part is actually performing sub-optimally), or unless you plan to do event X and some one who knows actually advises it.

Changing brake friction material might give a perceived improved reaction to pedal travel/force but you are also beginning to play with the brake bias front/rear, you may also be generating more brake dust to clean off, and possibly a more corrosive type of dust. Plus we've had the sticking to the disk comment for the previous poster. Then there is the performance difference cold to hot for the more competition type materials to deal with also.

I sprinted my Austin Healey Sprite for 2 years and ran standard pads without a problem. I'm preparing my Ace for sprinting and have also fitted standard material. The brake disks on an Ace are generous for a 800kg car and they not shielded, so just comparing one car to another I think there will be lots of braking capacity on an Ace.

TTM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:27:22 »
I would say that the braking abilities on an Ace with standard front disc brakes can be upgraded from relatively satisfying to remarkable when setting the "Adjuster" compensating for lining wear right at the limit. Not only should this reduce the demand on the front brakes but also avoid the need for front pads with a more agressive compound.

It is possible that most owners essentially rely on the performance of the front brakes and skip checking regularly if the rear Adjusters need "retightened", and in this case the rear liners will wear in a suboptimal manner due to not being close enough to the drums and slowly take a shape that may prevent, past a certain level of wear, finding back a position with the Adjusters allowing for the correct and maximum braking power and best balance between front and rear.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:34:37 by TTM »