Author Topic: Two on left Exhaust  (Read 4119 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
Two on left Exhaust
« on: February 07, 2019, 17:43:10 »
Please elaborate on the "two on left exhaust". I think i have seen in on 1985-1987 models including my MkIV. The design appealed to me from the first I saw my car set the car apart from all others. It is reminicent of earlier Aces. It helps the uninformedrealze the car something different from the kit cars at a show although I was once ask if it was a VW.

westcott

• View Profile
Re: Two on left Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 22:22:24 »
Mine had the one sided dual exhaust as well as most of the carburetted early cars have. In the meantime I added an exhaust from a later car.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 13:44:58 »
Carbureted cars have the single exhaust with the twin outlets on one side, EFI cars have the outlet pipes fed by dual pipes and are on both sides. Simple as that. A single wheelhouse mounted muffler for the carbs, left and right wheelhouse mufflers for the EFI cars.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:31:48 »
Yes, but don't forget the early and some later European/UK cars not eqipped with the 302 Mustang drivetrain.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 02:09:44 »
Thank you Mark IV. You always have the answer.

One more question, do you think there is a performance difference between the single and dual exhaust systems?

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 17:38:55 »
Thank you Mark IV. You always have the answer.

One more question, do you think there is a performance difference between the single and dual exhaust systems?

Yes, but more related to the power difference between the 4V carb 5.0 and the EFI version. The single exhaust was needed to comply with the "piggyback" EPA certification and that Autokraft had to use the Mustang cat convertor design with only a little wiggle room for convertor placement vs. the Mustang.