Author Topic: SS Headers for 1963 hipo 289  (Read 14495 times)

Aceca289

• View Profile
SS Headers for 1963 hipo 289
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 04:15:44 »
Emmanuel

I agree that ceramic coated headers should work well and reduce the radiant heat issues. I am mainly concerned about the appearance of the headers. I don’t want the exhaust system to stand out as modern looking as it is my intent to restore the engine bay to a 1963 vintage look. I understand that ceramic coatings come in a chrome like finish and black (maybe more). I have seen the chrome like finish and am not fond of it. Any comments on the black finish? Is it flat black, greyish black, semi glossy black?? Do they stand out as looking out of place with respect to the vintage of the engine? Does anyone else have any opinions?

My initial thought on replacing the headers and exhaust system was to go with ceramic coated headers since heat transfer into the cockpit is a problem. However, the mechanic working on my Aceca had installed a space age thermal blanket under the carpet in a 428 Frua coupe and achieved noticeable reduction in cockpit temperatures with that solution alone.

If I can get a better idea on the appearance of the ceramic coatings, I may consider them more seriously. In the end, stainless steel headers / exhaust have a very appealing look and are virtually bullet proof albeit they may be more expensive.

John

PS – I saw your 428 Frua in the “How many 428 Frua left” thread. Nice looking car! FYI -The 428 Frua I mentioned above is located in the San Francisco Bay Area (I saw it once at my mechanics shop – Silver paint...I recall – no info on the chassis number)

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:53 »
Best of both worlds? Is there anything against wrapping ceramic coated headers for the 'period' look you were after?
   Then again according to Zircotec..."The Zircotec high temperature coating process is particularly popular for vintage and classic racing cars as well as high-performance classic road cars as it brings all the benefits enjoyed by the professional motorsport industry, yet with a range of thermal barrier finishes that deliver a durable period look."
   And for Classic Racing Cars "...Our standard white finish perfectly and safely replicates the original asbestos heat barrier coating used by many formula and sports GT racing cars including AC, Aston Martin, Chevrolet, Lola, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Lotus and MG..."

[8D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 18:58:21 »
John, thanks

You can see more picture of the car in the thread "AC Frua repaired floors, sills and inner wings" and also in the "AC Frua manual 4 speed conversion." thread. The car has not changed much ever since. I have been busy at the office and I have been working on the motor. The car looked good on the photo but it was a mess below the sills. Looking back, I paid too much for it but if I wanted a Frua roadster this was it.
   After the motor is done, it will be stripped to the bare metal and painted (The car that is). Also a new rear bumper will be made as the current one is too bad to ever look good.

As far as ceramic coatings, I have used HPC, they have a 2000 degrees flat black that would probably work for you. I used them years ago and they were great! They are in Arizona I think!

Emmanuel[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 22:16:17 »
John,

Here is the address: http://www.hpcoatings.com/default.aspx

Regards,

Emmanuel

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 17:48:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Best of both worlds? Is there anything against wrapping ceramic coated headers for the 'period' look you were after?
   Then again according to Zircotec..."The Zircotec high temperature coating process is particularly popular for vintage and classic racing cars as well as high-performance classic road cars as it brings all the benefits enjoyed by the professional motorsport industry, yet with a range of thermal barrier finishes that deliver a durable period look."
   And for Classic Racing Cars "...Our standard white finish perfectly and safely replicates the original asbestos heat barrier coating used by many formula and sports GT racing cars including AC, Aston Martin, Chevrolet, Lola, Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Lotus and MG..."

[8D]

Interesting concept to wrap a ceramic coated header. Talk about reducing radiant heat issues. One should be able to hold onto those headers when running and not let go! Thanks for the input…lots of ideas to consider. I will try to look at some of the coating finishes in person before deciding.

I got a price on the Bellanger type (shorty) headers made for cobra 289's in stainless steel. They will cost $700 +tax. Not too bad.

One other item to consider is that SS headers are said to be quieter than typical carbon steel headers which can sound bright. Does anyone know if ceramic coating headers will make them run quieter like stainless steel?  I could even have the stainless steel headers ceramic coated. Options galore!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 18:41:13 »
John Hi,

As far as noise, I think it's the other way around, I was considering a complete SS exhaust for my XK150 but upon listening to cars so equipped, I decided to keep the original mild steel system. The SS system sounds more high pitched, more brittle. Same thing with Tubi systems for modern Ferraries. The sound is more high pitched. I don't think header material will make a big difference though as far as sound.

Emmanuel[:)]

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 18:03:55 »
Emmanuel,

Thanks for your opinions on ceramic coatings and noise issues. Since I have already located a pair of SS headers that should work without modifications, I am toying with the idea of having just the inside of the SS headers coated to reduce radiant heat issues. I e-mailed a ceramic coating company and they said that this can be done. The possibilities are truly endless.

As for the noise/sound, I believe the overall design of the system (pipe diameter, type of mufflers…) would likely have more effective than the pipe materials. I am thinking about a low profile pair of spin tech performance mufflers http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp under the seats and a pair of glass-packs at the rear. My mechanic says to try an exhaust system without the mufflers and only the glass-packs first. However, I am concerned about how loud it may be without the mufflers.

I looked at the thread for your AC Frua restoration. Wow! You had some real repair work to do. I am sure you will rest happier when your project is complete.

John

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 02:03:56 »
Thanks John, thats the problem with steel, it rusts (especially 60's Italian Steel). I posted some more photos showing how bad the car was. I knew it was not great when I bought it, but I did not know to what extent. Oh well, I am pretty happy with the results, it's only money as they say!

You are right, possibilities are endless with modern technology. Your project sounds like fun, your car should be a riot to drive. Are you going to convert to rack and pinion steering?

Emmanuel

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 07:06:27 »
I took a look at the latest pictures you posted of the repairs to your 428 Frua. Yuk, what a mess before the repairs! I have some sense of what you went through as my Aceca had some large clunks and rattles coming from the rear end before the restoration work began. During the rebuilding of the rear suspension many of the space member pieces holding the bodywork were discovered to be corroded out so they were cut out and new ones fabricated and replaced. I should have a more quiet ride when it is back on the road.

As for converting to rack and pinion…my father took care of that in the late 60’s or early 70’s.

John