Author Topic: SS Headers for 1963 hipo 289  (Read 15558 times)

Aceca289

• View Profile
SS Headers for 1963 hipo 289
« on: April 25, 2008, 04:07:12 »
I own a 1956 Aceca that was fitted with a high performance (hipo) 289 in 1963. I am having some restoration work done on the car and the cost for custom made SS headers is high. Does anyone know of a source for pre-maunfactured Stainless Steel headers that might fit with minor modifications. The configuration should be similar to the original 289 cobras.

Thanks

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 18:28:47 »
Try Finish Line in Las Vegas! You might want to call them!

http://www.finishlinecobraslv.com/index.html

or Kirkham, they make a leaf springs small block car.

http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/

I would call Kirkham first, their headers will be an exact replica of the originals! [:)]

Regards,

Emmanuel

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 21:32:06 »
Thanks for the reply. I have been to these web sites, but will try calling as you suggested to see if they can assit in leading me to a source. The welder is looking at using mustang headers as a starting point and fabricating the collectors to route the exhust in the proper direction. The cost of parts and labor to build custom SS headers from scratch scares me.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 06:15:45 »
How about using standrad headers that are coated (jet hot or equivalent)? I have never seen stainless headers(doesn't meant they are not out there), and people have had pretty good luck with coated versions.
   Jay

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 14:09:29 »
aceca289, go to cobraautomotive.com they can help, also hipomustangs.com forum post on the restoration forum,   also what is the casting number and date code of your block, it can be found behind the starter, also, there is a pad on the right rear of the block with a 4 digit number that indicates the production order of your hipo.  if your date code is in fact 63, there are many important differences from a 64 hipo that you need to be aware of.  timing cover oil fill, 5 bolt bellhousing, closed valve covers, closed chamber heads...check those numbers and get back to me...a great book for info is small block fords by bob mannel, he is always on the hipo site and will answer any questions.

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 17:35:13 »
I am 99.999% sure that my engine is a 1963 hipo 289.  My father purchased the car in 1968 from the person who had the engine installed.  I have a file folder of original paperwork and receipts which adds interest to the car. For example, the work was performed in the summer of 1963 with the engine costing $791.20 brand new from Ford and the Borg Warner T10 transmission was $337.00.  I even have the phone records showing $32.66 in phone calls to Shelby’s shop in Venice, California. The whole engine swap cost $5,181.93 and with additional misc work on the car the job totaled $6,212.34. To put it in perspective you could buy a brand new Cobra for the same amount of money in 1963.

Thanks for the tip on the book by Bob Mannel about small block fords. I will see if I can locate a copy.  I asked the guy who is working on the restoration to look up the numbers on my engine block anyways, and I will let you know when I receive the information. It may take a while as he is involved with vintage racing and has some races coming up soon.  Do you know if there are any differences on the early hipo 289s vs. the later ones with respect to the exhaust manifold flanges mounts?  I am working on a lead (obtained from a phone call to Kirkham Motorsports) on some SS headers and this information would be helpful. I will try to reach Bob Mannel also to see if he can answer this question.

Thanks,

John

ak1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 04:03:32 »
Why not buy a set of shorty headers ...they are plentyful and cheap.  unless this is a restoration ..then COOKS can make them for you.

Ron

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 04:16:32 »
here's the link to bob mannel's book: http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 04:18:45 »
by the way, what a cool story, I love the phone records to shelby..at that cost, makes you wonder why he didnt just buy a shelby at the time..

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 17:46:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by msgsobe

here's the link to bob mannel's book: http://www.fordsmallblock.com/

Thanks! I ordered a copy last night. It looks like a very comprehensive book.

John

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 21:33:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

Why not buy a set of shorty headers ...they are plentyful and cheap.  unless this is a restoration ..then COOKS can make them for you.

Ron

I am pursuing a lead on a shorty type header that was supposedly used by Shelby in the original 289 Cobras. The owner of CSX3018 had a pair of these SS headers put on his car and the configuration looks like it will work with the Aceca (provided the foot-wells do not differ too much from the Cobra). I was told that they are an exact replica of the headers that Shelby used and were referred to as “Bolanger (sp?) Nassau Headers”. Does anyone know anything about this reference to Bolanger headers?

John

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 01:31:24 »
"Bellanger" was a header manufacturer. Long gone, but others can copy the style. Cobra Automotive has them I think. "Nassau" headers were an improvement on the cast iron/tubular units used previously (the small cast "Y"s that then had tubular pipes attached, a 4 into 2 into 1 type arrangement)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 17:29:06 »
Why SS headers? You can make them in mild steel and have them ceramic coated inside out which will reduce under-hood heat as well. On my 428,  because of the lack of room on the side, I bought a pair of Sanderson shorties and had them modified by a pro. Total cost with the ceramic around $1400. Easy!

Emmanuel

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 17:18:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Why SS headers? You can make them in mild steel and have them ceramic coated inside out which will reduce under-hood heat as well. On my 428,  because of the lack of room on the side, I bought a pair of Sanderson shorties and had them modified by a pro. Total cost with the ceramic around $1400. Easy!

Emmanuel

I have looked into ceramic coated headers and the jury is still not quite in on the subject. I do need to reduce under-hood heat. In my research, I found that carbon steel conducts about 220% more heat per foot than stainless steel, making stainless a superior choice over carbon steel. It is hard to find an unbiased opinion about how stainless steel compares to ceramic coated carbon steel with respect to heat transfer.  I also understand that ceramic coating is dependent on the quality of the application. Poor quality application or cracks and chips in the coating can expose the mild steel to corrosion. Radiant heat is another concern which makes ceramic coating look inviting. I plan on resolving the radiant heat issue by having the car re carpeted with a space age thermal blanket under the carpet. I may also take additional measures such as wrapping the headers.

Even though my Aceca does not have the original engine, it does have a well documented history of a (costly) vintage engine replacement. It is my intent to restore the engine compartment to what it looked like (or could have looked like) in 1963 when the hipo 289 was installed. Along those lines, I would like to keep with materials and methods that were available in 1963 (such as stainless steel and wrapping of headers). Although, I will try to locate a ceramic coated header to see what the outward appearance looks like before making a final decision.

John

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 21:05:06 »
I disagree, the jury has been out on this for a long time, this technology has been developped and used for years on aircraft jet engines and in racing as well. I have used ceramic coatings for quite a while and I am very happy with the results. Remember, coating should be applied inside and outside of the headers. It is so effective that one can actually touch coated headers without leaving any skin when the engine is running while temperature inside is raised substantially increasing burn efficiency. For modern cars equipped with a catalytic converter, ceramic coating will make the difference wheather the car will pass emissions when headers are used instead of the original manifolds which are usually made of cast iron or shielded in some ways.

Emmanuel