Author Topic: AC Acedes 1924  (Read 11055 times)

Bingham

• View Profile
AC Acedes 1924
« on: April 23, 2008, 22:23:51 »
I have discovered an Acedes believed to be 1924 lying in a barn in Gloucestershire. Having spoken to the owner, he would be willing to sell it to me if I made a suitable offer. It has not been run for about 5 years when it was parked up with gearbox "trouble." Regret that this is a bit vague. The visual condition is complete and original, in that it has never been through a restoration process. A point of interest is that it is fitted with triple SUs.
   In the past I have owned and extensively worked on a Lanchester, Morgan 3-Wheeler, Fairthorpe, MGB club racer, Dolomite Sprint and several ordinary cars. I am now looking for a retirement project. The only problem is that although being a long term enthusiast, finances are fairly limited. Experience has taught me to tread carefully and so I am concerned about the gearbox trouble. As I understand it, the gearbox is integral with the back axle which complicates the issue. I am quite capable of dismantling, reassembly making gaskets and so on but obtaining parts could be a worry.
   I would be most grateful to receive any views on my potential project, in particular the gearbox issue.
   Since I won't be able to drive it before a rebuild - how do these cars behave on the road?   I wouldn't want to spend 100s of hours and £s to find that it had inherently awful manners!
   The registration number is GC 8609. Is the car on the Club Register?
   Very many thanks

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AC Acedes 1924
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 14:10:40 »
The car is on the register with chassis number 14912, engine number 3469 and believed ex-works 7/3/30, last heard of in Gloucestershire.  Rear axles can be sucessfully refurbished and there are articles on the subject on the members' section of the site.  If the engine is original it could be the most expensive part to put right especially if the water jacket needs replacement - if it is original it will certainly have suffered some corrosion by now.  A replacement water jacket can be identified by a horizontal line around the block 3 - 4" below the cylinder head.  For info on engine work check out two of our advertisers:

http://ac2litre.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
   http://www.ac-project.co.uk/

I understand they drive as well as any vintage car and better than most - I guess it depends what you are used to!

bobbylangley

• View Profile
AC Acedes 1924
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 19:18:07 »
I spoke to Clive Bowyer and he remembers this car well. In fact, if you do obtain it he would very much like the liner removal tool he lent the owner returned!