Author Topic: HAMSTER CRASH PROMPTS HUGE RESPONSE  (Read 9955 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
HAMSTER CRASH PROMPTS HUGE RESPONSE
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:43:09 »
Members of PistonHeads.com started a collection for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance Charity yesterday morning (21 Sept) following The Hamster's horrendous 300mph crash at Elvington and and so far the donations total £42,000

The Yorkshire Air Ambulance, airlifted the stricken Top Gear presenter from the scene of the crash to the Leeds General Infirmary.

Initiator of the donation Alex Goss said: "This huge level of response has gone way past initial expectations and has paid for over 45 flights of the helicopter in the future. The aim now is to pay for 75 flights of this essential service".

Jeremy Clarkson is reported to have said, after a visit to Hammond's bedside: "He was lying peacefully with a black eye but didn't react so I tried something else. I said, 'The reason you're here is because you're a crap driver'. He then smiled at me. It was an amazing moment, very moving."

Although Top Gear favourite Richard Hammond suffered "significant brain injury", doctors say that they are reasonably optimistic about his chances of recovery. He's been conscious at least twice since the accident, which doctors said was a good sign. There are no visible signs of injury apart from a black eye, reports the BBC. He was trying to beat the 300.3mph British land speed record in a jet-powered dragster at Elvington.

If you like to consider making a donation please follow this link:

www.justgiving.com/PHRichardHammond

I guess by being members of the ACOC we are all petrol-heads and I hope you don't feel this is an inappropriate use of the club website.
   Thanks - John.