Author Topic: back wheel and exhaust line  (Read 3451 times)

cobra06FR

• View Profile
back wheel and exhaust line
« on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:00 »
Dear All,
I posted in the past my intention to switch from 16" to 15" wheels on my 1989 MKIV and got lot of advices  - many thanks again for that -
I have acquired the rims from Vintage wheel US. Back rims are 15" X 9.5"  with a backspace of 3,5"  i.e. very similar  - sometimes identical to what some of you had or confirmed fitted in their case.

In my case looking at the rim installed, it is clear that when the tyre will be fitted on the rim, the distance between the exhaust line and the tyre will be too small and I will have to have the exhaust line slightly modified.

Has anyone experienced that in the past ?
Has anyone modified the exhaust line to get more clearance between the line and the tyre ?  if yes could you share how you did it ?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences.

And as it is the season coming, Very Merry XMas  for all of you  AC fans that will read my post.
LaurentCobra06
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

westcott

• View Profile
Re: back wheel and exhaust line
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 22:29:29 »
Laurant I will take some pics and post them here tomorrow.

I deleted the resonators in the wheel arches and modified the loop above the rear suspension.  The complete exhaust tube loop behind the rear wheel is wrapped with exhaust wrap heat protection.

That works for me, the new exhaust loop tube diameter should be not bigger then 2".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:08:09 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 21:02:31 »
This is my final layout using the original polished ends of the later dual exhaust.
The tubes are 3-5mm away from the inner wheel arch.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 21:30:26 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 13:24:10 »
Many thanks Wescott  for your advices and pics.
Glad to see  someone had the same issue and solved it.
Also saw an advert on the net for an AC sold few years ago where the pics showed clearly that the  exhaust tubes were derivatised outside of the wheel arch completely, running under the car body and coming out at the back of the car in amore central manner.

I prefer your option and I was also considering insulation with heat protection.

Many thanks again.
L
Many thanks
Best Regards
L