Author Topic: US Barn Find 2 Litre  (Read 2768 times)

eaton

• View Profile
US Barn Find 2 Litre
« on: December 15, 2018, 22:11:59 »
Thanks for accepting me to the forum. I recently found this car -- EH 1858 -- tucked away in the garage in the western United States. I have no background with the AC 2 Litre, but I am considering buying it. The wood appears sound (at least as much as I can see it) and the body is excellent with original light olive green paint.  Elderly owner imported it in the middle 1980s and parked it soon after. He claims it ran when parked, although it's hard to tell what shape the engine is in more than 20 years later. Interior looks very nice.

Any thoughts on what would make fair price? I don't think I'll be able to make sure the engine is sound before acquiring, so it would be a bit of gamble.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Re: US Barn Find 2 Litre
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 14:45:50 »
Hi  Welcome.

The 2 litres are a very nice car, But...… If the engine is shot then expect a hefty bill in UK around £15-20K rebuild. Though the AC engine is a nice looking thing. If it is shot then unless you after originality (let me dodge the bullets now) Then I would go for another form of engine, I have a Triumph straight 6 with overdrive gearbox in mine, it will cruise all day long at 70mph without any trouble. You could get hold of a Triumph tr6/250 lump and g/box over in the states or maybe a small ford/chevy 6. There is room for a V8 of the smaller variety, I did measure up for a Rover/Buick V8 it would easily fit, however back axle whilst strong could be a problem with to much torque.

Handling is in my opinion very good, with the underslung rear axle making for a low centre of gravity. Steering is relatively light even at standstill/parking speeds.

Do check the brakes as hard to find new master/slave cylinders, though you get them bored and sleeved in stainless steel liners.

I would think If in the UK and wood is good then anything from £1-4k would be a good, wood shot again will be a real expense and a skilled job. Have a look at AC2litre.com, a restoration in progress.

You wont find many of those in the states or anywhere somewhere around a 100 still going worldwide, so I am lead to belive. Would make a great Rod if all else fails.

Let us know if you go for it.

Cheers  Gary
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 14:47:39 by GSouthee »
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

eaton

• View Profile
Re: US Barn Find 2 Litre
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:11:34 »
Thanks, Gary. Some good info there. I appreciate it. I probably will not end up going for it, as the owner feels it's more valuable than my research suggests. At least for now. You never know how these things turn out.