Author Topic: Moss Gearbox  (Read 11534 times)

Trevor Corner

• View Profile
Moss Gearbox
« on: April 03, 2008, 22:20:29 »
information please,Books,parts supplier? Trevor.corner@tiscali.co.uk[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Moss Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 18:08:38 »
Trevor

A few of my friends run XK120 / XK140s which employ the Moss Gearbox.

I know from looking through some of their reference material, Jaguar produced some very comprehensive workshop manuals for these gear boxes with  & without overdrive.

just a suggestion,  visit Jaguar or XK web site to establish contact with the recognised experts and glean info.

AC never did spend excess money on Comprehensive workshop manuals
   where as Jaguar used Moss boxes by the thousand, so exploded diagramms and comprehensive text readily available.

Best check with Rod Briggs  & Robin Woolmer etc to confirm difference is ratios etc. between Jag & AC.

Good luck

Keith

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Moss Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:37:09 »
Trevor
   I do not have a great deal of information on the Moss Box but there are people who will re-build them as well as supply some parts, the weakness is in the syncro which wears, 'www.scparts.co.uk' deal with Jag parts & there web site has an exploded view of the gearbox.
   I understand that 5-speed conversions are also carried out with the fitting of complete new gears & shafts which includes syncro on all gears, the cost is however high @ approx £3,000.
   I do have some 2-litre gearboxes & have a MK2 Jag Moss Box, if you would like to look at them let me know? i do not have the gear ratio's but this could be worked out.
   Morgan Cars were also fitted with the Moss so that might assist your search for assistance.
   Some people do fit alternate in period boxes such as Riley but you will need to do some work, i have looked at the Ford Type 9 box (5-speed) which could well be fitted to the AC bell housing, this box is well supported with gear sets as it is used extensively by the Kit Car guy's. The only thing is matching it to the AC Crankshaft as the AC gearboxes have a female bearing support in the gearbox driven shaft!
   It is all a question of what car, what you want to do & how standard do you wish to be, then it is affordability?
   I am sure Rod can give more information as he has fitted a Riley gearbox to his racing special & therefore is aware of the ramifications?

Robin

keithjecks

• View Profile
Moss Gearbox
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 14:00:02 »
The club has a (I think) complete gearbox which is complete but slightly corroded, but looks serviceable to me.

Trevor Corner

• View Profile
Moss Gearbox
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 17:35:42 »
HI,Robin and Keith, thank's a lot for your feedback,i am very grateful to you both.Trevor