Author Topic: Ace/Aceca headlamp question  (Read 3759 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Ace/Aceca headlamp question
« on: March 30, 2008, 18:51:24 »
Maybe someone in the club can shed some light here. My Aceca has the tripod headlights as shown in the picture, and stamped in the glass is 'Left Hand Drive'. Are these original to the car, or replacements? I've never seen any tripods that have Left (or Right) hand cast in them, and not even sure what difference it would make if the car is Left or right hand drive?

As always, any information appreciated.

Peter
Peter B.

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 19:57:49 »
Shed some light...appropriate viewing the subject.
   In general, headlights should have an asymmetrical beam (when comparing left and right sides) and this requires an opposite beam on LHD and RHD cars. All in view of oncoming traffic. I don't think you can fully overcome this by adjustment of the light assembly itself.
   That's why UK (RHD) cars visiting the European continent usually have a small of piece of tape in the shape of a slice of pie covering a part of their headlight lenses.
   As for the inscription LHD itself, I can't be sure. Maybe someone else?

Jerry

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:52:27 »
I found this which illustrates quite well a 'LHD' low beam pattern,

showing the raised right-hand side of the beam. If  RHD units were fitted, this would cause the raised section to be on the left, dazzling oncoming motorists. As jerry mentioned, the 'slice of pie' is to block the raised section of the beam, for when those of us who sit on the correct side of the car visit the 'other' places! [;)]Before I found this, I didn`t realise there was a European/N.American beam pattern, but I do recall sealed beam units on our MGB or Minis having Right Hand Drive moulded on them. If you are actually considering an amount of night driving, it would be worth upgrading your headlights, and just keep the Tripods for show!

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:39 »
I put some halogen bulbs in my tripods.  They are brighter than standard sealed beams.

Still can't get the alignment correct though.  I tried swapping assemblies from left to right, that didn't help much.  It's a left hand drive car in the USA.  On low beam, it lights up the ground on the right.  On high beam, the overhead power lines on the left are a directional guide.

Peter S.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:40:27 »
Peter S.
   Grasping at straws here, but could the buckets be installed incorrectly?
   Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:30:01 »
Ok, not as bright, but how is the beam pattern with bulbs? It`s possible that the halogens` element puts the light source in a different position relative to the lens` focal length. Try holding the bulb 1/16" - 1/8" out of the headlamp & see if it improves matters.
   N.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 23:01:42 »
I believe these are not original. If I'm not mistaken, originals had a Lucas emblem printed on the little dot in the middle. There are some cars in the "original Ac and Ace" book with these Lucas tripods mounted. So I think the tripods are period correct, but these are not the Lucas units.

Gus

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:43:22 »
Lucas PL700 tripod Lights can be purchased from 'www.s-v-c.co.uk' but are very expensive @ £150 a pair, they have none lucas tripods @ considerably less cost.
   I do not know if they are suitable for the USA though?

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 11:05:22 »
Have checked with S-V-C & they do sell suitable PL700's for UK,Europe & USA requirements but sometimes they are on a lead time awaiting a production batch!

Robin

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 00:02:47 »
The non lucas tripods are available from Moss Motors in the USA. They also have the Lucas tripods, but not in stock and at a lot higher cost.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 00:07:49 »

I hope this link works. It's the PL700 at Moss