Author Topic: Chrome or painted?  (Read 11342 times)

msgsobe

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« on: March 27, 2008, 15:07:04 »
MA 200 came to me with minilites.  Originally had wires, see pic.  A former owner told me he was sure they were chrome, but in this photo they look painted or polished to me.  Any thoughts?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 21:18:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by msgsobe

MA 200 came to me with minilites.  Originally had wires, see pic.  A former owner told me he was sure they were chrome, but in this photo they look painted or polished to me.  Any thoughts?

Awesome car! Hi, this is purely a matter of taste, some cars look really nice with painted wheels like old XKs' for example. one thing is certain, you don't want chromed spokes as the chrome makes the steel brittle. I you go for a chromed or polished aluminum rim, make sure the spokes are made of stainless steel. Dayton makes very good quality wheels in what ever material or finish you like! I bought a set of Dayton for my 428 which are 7" wide and have polished aluminum rims just like a Borrani.They fit perfectly. [:)]

Emmanuel

msgsobe

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 21:29:58 »
what do you think they look like in the pic? polished, painted or chrome?

Classicus

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 21:47:39 »
It's a long time ago and I've no idea why but the first thought that came to mind was Matt finish.... If that means anything or helps ?

aex125

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:25:24 »
Given the spinners are chrome, I would guess painted since there is a definite difference between them

nikbj68

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:55:17 »
They look painted to me, and would be my choice as I find the chromed look too 'show'.
   Check out the amount of balance weight on the rear rim....

Classicus

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 09:35:41 »
My old Mk II Sprite back in the Sixties also had wire wheels and I've just remembered I used Hammerite a lot to cover and supposedly remove the rust !

Click on "Vehicle Maintenance" panel at bottom right
   http://www.hammerite-automotive.com/

I think they came in other (lacquer ?) finishes besides Matt such as Crackle Finish and Stove Enamel, but from vague memory you could also buy new wire wheels with such decorative finishes as well .... ?

Hth [:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 14:54:47 »
Couple of wire wheel restoration websites you might find helpful too.... [:)]

http://www.richards-bros.com/?gclid=CJ-ZrteFsJICFRmzEAodTkhPMQ

http://www.hnraaca.org/html/body_painting_wheels.html

davidhickman

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 17:54:00 »
I did see such an AC for sale over here (England) about 10 years ago - (I'm guessing on the time) and it was a similar shade to the one in the photo which you have posted but I thought it was more green than blue - kingfisher perhaps.
   The wheels had painted spokes but as the man says best choice for looks and to keep clean are stainless and they are in keeping with the vehicle without being too 'bling'. After all, it's the body that you want people to look at not the feet - now just wait for some fetishist to put me right!
   However, I later saw what I thought was the same car again about 4 years ago (although I didn't see the registration marks) It was for sale and this time described simply as 1963 AC with ford GT40 engine. Cleevewood garage in Bristol were asking 55,000GBP and it definitely had minilites on it then.
   Is this the car you purchased I wonder.
   Regards David

msgsobe

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 21:06:45 »
thanks david, both same car, as there is only one MA 200!  It had been repainted at some point with that green/blue, (all gone now), and subsequently fitted with minilites. Your recollection of painted spokes helps.. I am restoring her to exact 1963 specs, so my preferences are really unimportant..I purchased the car thru colin dunn, not clevewood garage, do you have contact info for them as they may have some info for me as well.
   thanks, regards, mark

msgsobe

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 23:02:01 »
small world! just googled clevewood garage, ends up the director is norman hughes, a very nice gentleman whom had previosly furnished me some rare documents regarding MA 200!

Peterw11

• View Profile
Chrome or painted?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:32:48 »
Hi Mark,

I would guess the matte finish would appropriate, as all the pics I've seen (pre-Minilite)seem to indicate that.  More than likely stove enamelled, (a primitive baked on finish).  I'd also guess that they would be the same stock finish as offered by AC on the slab side 289 when they were new.

Glad to see you're going back to original metallic blue, as that blue green shade was just a bit too loud.  The color in the factory photo was just right, IMO.