Author Topic: Ace brake and fuel line routing under car  (Read 2435 times)

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Ace brake and fuel line routing under car
« on: December 17, 2018, 10:58:46 »
Happy Christmas everybody.

I'm in the process of renewing my brake line down the length of the car and had these questions concerning the brake and the fuel lines routing. I know the factory may have changed these through the production years, so people may have different routings, but any guidance is helpful. (We have a '58 RHD, Bristol car).

1) Brake line; my line is held to the outside of the chassis tube with the little hair-clip type spring retainers, but around the battery tray there has been some sort of a repair and the routing does not look correct. Should the brake line pass over or under the battery tray and over/under/inside the chassis rail? Should I have another clip(s) between there and the bronze 4-way union at the front sub frame?

2) Fuel line - I have what looks to be a factory original plastic line, but it goes down the transmission tunnel, in a slightly haphazard way, is this correct or should it also go up the outside of the chassis tube. In either case what should retain it? Current it's retained with period-looking aluminium strap bands.

3) Auxiliary fuel line - not fitted reinstated yet, but the car was originally fitted with the aux SU pump. Where should the aux line go typically, parallel to the main fuel line perhaps?

I have a raft of Ace technical pictures collected from the internet, but none unfortunately show this level of detail.

Many thanks,
James
BE475

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Re: Ace brake and fuel line routing under car
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:34:57 »
Keith many thanks for emailing through the pictures of the vehicle frames. Particularly the first picture which
 showed the rear brake line coming forward to the battery box, then up and over the main chassis tube and running along the inside of the tube towards the front sub-frame. I've reproduced the pic showing the part of the routing that I need to re-do, mine has been hastily repaired in that area at some point in the past.

James

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: Ace brake and fuel line routing under car
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 16:46:54 »
James

Glad to learn some of the pictures  emailed to you yesterday answered your questions regards the  routing of brake pipes and fuel lines.
The picture you have copied above is of AE119 ,  dated 2016 when for sale as a partial restoration. Copyright of this picture credited to
C Read of Adelaide , Australia.

Keith