Author Topic: Spare tire hold down  (Read 5643 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« on: March 23, 2008, 14:36:53 »
In trying to make the gas cap/filler area fit correctly I had the reove the side trunk panel which meant I had to lower my gas tank. In doing that, I damaged (actaully complete broke it off) the bung where pickup tube goes in and so I had to remove the tank completely for repair. Since it is out it gives me a chance to fix another problem and that is mounting the spare tire hold down. I had to make a new floor for the trunk and never put the hole in for the hold down since I did not have one. I would now like to drill the hole, but need help identifying what it looks like and how it attaches. Is it an L shaped piece,or is it a standard bolt that is somehow fastened to the cross brace. Also, is there a special piece that goes on top the wheel that the hold down nut presses against? I do not have the hold down nut, but can probably make something work if I can figure out the rest.
   Thanks,
   Jay

pjbowman

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 20:27:59 »
Jay - here's a few pics of the hold-down assembly on AEX127, so should be the same for you. I can email hi-res pics if you need them, just let me know.

Peter

Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 00:15:50 »
Jay

The threaded stud usually has a sleeve, On my Ace a large washer then locates on the stud and is locked down onto the centre of the hub  by a special shaped aluminium retainer. refer to the picture on page 53 of "Origonal AC Ace & Cobra by Rinsey Mills"

The ACOC had some copies made,  your best bet is to contact The ACOC Chairman who I beleive may still have a few left from previous batch or can get another batch made. (they were advertised some time ago in ACtion)

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:12:13 »
Thanks guys, I guess nothing is ever as easy as thought. In the picture, it looks like there is probably a large washer on the back side of the trunk floor as shown by the circular discoloration. I think this would imply the stud/washer/sleeve ass'y does not go through one of the braces like I originally thought. Looking closer at the pictures I am not sure, but it looks like the sleeve is threaded and maybe that is what holds the stud in place?  I guess I need to put my spare in my trunk and see where things line up and go from there for finding the correct hole location. Keith, do you know offhand what the threads are on the retainer (and thanks for the contact info)? I'll try to get one of them, but want to make sure I have the correct stud when I put everything back together.
   Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:00:18 »
Jay

The four winged Ali retainer has a 3/8" Course thread which I assume to be 3/8" Whitworth.

The Vertical 1/2" Dia  by 1" to 1 1/4" tube  is welded to a 1" piece of angle which in turn is weled to the inverted U section under the boot floor.

The upper most thread (3/8" BSF) of the Tube is internally chamfered to assit in locating the stud and four eared retainer when replacing the spare wheel. ( the stud is therefore 3/8" BSF on lower end and 3/8" whit upper end - Course thread to marry into Ali retainer)

If the Winged (four eared) retainer is locked onto the stud , the complete unit can be removed to assist in the removal & replacement of the spare wheel.

Refer to back issue of ACtion magazine May 2001, page34,  Tony Michaels had some for Sale @ £7.95 each. plus postage, It's not worth  trying to make one at that price.

If he hasn't any left, Ask him and ACOC to have another batch made, I'm  sure theres enough Members out there who require the correct fitting.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 19:22:58 »
Uh-Oh,
   This seems to be getting worse the more I find out. I'll need to crawl under the car and see what pieces are still there. If I do not still have (and I do not think I do) the piece that the tube is welded to, I will probably have to figure something different out since I would rather not have to remove panels again as the rivet holes are starting to get a smidge oversized.
   Thanks for the description of what I should have, just when I thought I was close to goping out for upholstery, another thing comes up.
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 20:04:00 »
Jay

If I have too remove Ali panels on a frequent / regular basis I find it best to use Rivnuts. e.g.  the Access panel to the rear axle on my Ace.

Makes life so much easier. plus they dont start to rattle and sing at certain resonance which usually coincides with 80 to 90 mph the ideal cruising speed.

Enjoy !!

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 02:59:51 »
Well it seems I do not have the bar going across so I'll have to figure out a different way to do this. The gas tank will not be back from the bung repair till Thursday, so I have a few days to figure something out. Peter and Keith hanks for all the help and the pics.
   Keith, I have used riv-nuts in a few places on the car, but have to say I did not think to use them on the trunk panels as I figured I wouldn't need to be removing those panels. Obviously I did no think things through very well ;)On a slightly different note ( and I am somewhat afraid to ask based on what I found out on the last question) but what rear end access panel are you referring to? I had to make most of my inner panels from scratch using only pictures, and it sounds like I may have missed something.
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 20:06:45 »
Jay

The boot floor towards the rear bulk head is raised by approx the depth of the spare wheel.

The Ali panel in my Ace and many used in competion has a large removable panel to give access to the centre of the Rear Spring and to top up the diff without getting under the car.

Ooopppps Sorry forgot your talink ACeca not Ace.....Not 100% conversant with the Panels / floor etc of a ACeca,  so sorry if I have raised the Blood pressure a few degrees,  Sit Down,  deep breath,  now have a look at any details on other Acecas then have a drink to celebrate or commiserate....  just have a drink and Chill out !!  Clear head and move on to next phase of restoration.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 04:24:30 »
Thanks again Keith and I have an Ace, not Aceca so the description is applicable, but it sounds like it is an added feature I do not have to worry about. No you didn't raise my blood pressure any, but what the heck I had a drink anyway. Moving back to the spare hold down for a moment, on Page 64 of Simon Taylors Book "AC Heritage", there is a picture of the frame of the Lemans Bristol. Looking at the area where the spare tire would normally mount, I see what looks like a tab that is partially obscured by the side trunk rail. Is that tab what you were describing as the 1" angle welded to the inverted U section? It was not what I had envisioned, but if that is what it looks like, I think I should be able put something like that together fairly easily. Ahh... a Gin and Tonic and all seems to be going better.
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:06:23 »
Jay

B4 U ave 2 many G&Ts,  email  Steve Gray at Brooklands Motor Company.

He is one of the best restorers of AC Aces & Cobras in UK,  He is very helpfull and should be able to email pic or two of exactly what you require.

Unfortunately, I do not have Simon Taylors' Book "AC Heritage"  to refer to, so cannot answer your question.

email:-   steve@brooklandsmotorcompany.co.uk

Alternatively try Aubrey Finsburgh or David Sanderson, both also have a 100% track record on restoration of Aces.

Sorry but havent email address for Aubrey or David.

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 12:08:20 »
Throwing the proverbial cat amongst pigeons... does this help at all?
   BE 212:

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 15:04:00 »
Nik

The pic of Tony Bancrofts' Ace Bristol ( BE212) helps show Jay the access panel I was refering to,  ( comparing your photo to the poor condition Tonys Ace arrived at Brooklands motor Company just shows what can be acheived, So little Ali was actually replaced with new.)

Do you just happen to have a few pics from under the Ace prior to fitting  of the tank.

That would be most usefull to Jay, so he can proceed with fabricating a bracket to secure the vertical sleeve to the inverted U section. to hold down the Spare wheel inside the Boot.

Not sure if Jay actually contacted Steve Grey, Aubrey or David,  all three would have pictures to confirm how everything fits together.

If any one has a pic or two please post on Forum.

Cheers

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 03:01:39 »
Thanks to all and I think I now have the info I need to put my hold down together. I think most things (angle bracket, tube ass'y, and spare hold down disk) will have to fabbed from scratch, but luckily I have a lathe so it should go quickly. I certainly couldn't have figured it out without the collective knowledge and pictures from the group.
   Nik, Thanks also for the trunk picture showing the access panel. Now I can rest easy knowing what Keith was referring to.
   Cheers,
   Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
Spare tire hold down
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 15:35:29 »
Here`s a picture of the underneath!!!!

I`m not sure there`s enough angle on this pic to really help...

...Of course, the rear end hasn`t always looked that good:

There`s a full Ace rebuild on the Brooklands Motor Company`s 'Features' page, click the 3rd pic from the left(feature 8)

Anyway, good luck, Jay...