Author Topic: Zenith fuel filter  (Read 10050 times)

cliffordl

• View Profile
Zenith fuel filter
« on: March 22, 2008, 17:50:05 »
Just received my overhauled carb back from Rusty Petrovic aka Doc Carburetor in Canada. Whole thing looks as new, I highly recommend his work.

Installation went well and I've added a new fuel filter attached to the carb fuel intake. However poor running lead me to investigate the old Zenith Mk 1A filter attached to the inner wing.  This has a brass (as opposed to glass) bowl with a stacked copper? ring filter element that has seen better days.

I've removed the element for now and the cars running great. But I'd like to rebuild as near original as possible so...

Does anyone know how to clean/revive the element? or is a modern filter element available that fits the old unit?

Happy Easter be it motoring or mechanicking...
   Cliff.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Zenith fuel filter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:32:43 »
Cliff watch out, after I installed my 4 speed gearbox, I got stuck on my way home (in the ghetto) the engine just quit from fuel starvation. Towed the car back to my mechanic. We cleaned the Zenith fuel filter, just opened the bowl, separated the elements and cleaned in between. We then put it back together, replaced the Holley bolt-on carburettor fuel filter. The car was working fine and I left again 3 hours later. Half way home, the engine quit again and this time I had the car towed to my home. Again the Zenith filter was clogged and I had to replace the Holley filter as well. The problem was with the fuel tank. When my car's body was being worked on, we had taken the gas tank out and it was stored empty for almost 6 months. There was so much crud and rust in there that I had to have it completely redone! The whole bottom of it was replaced. The morality of the matter is, if you have problem with the filter clogging, check you your gas tank, it is probably in need of repairs. The tank is easy to remove on the convertible, only 4 bolts, let me know if you want tips to do that.

Emmanuel[:)]