Author Topic: Looking for example of Ace color  (Read 3561 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Looking for example of Ace color
« on: March 21, 2008, 13:51:22 »
For the Aces and Acecas (and maybe other ACs) there are references for a Red color that is named “Mail Red”. Does anyone have a link to an example of this color or can offer a description of what it looks like (light, dark, ruby, etc)? I am trying to link some history on an early Ace and this color may provide a clue for a connection.
   Thanks,
   Jay

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 21:52:04 »
As far as I know the name sprouted from the red colour of the old style mailboxes in England in the past.
   That colour was, in my eyes, a bright red, neither light nor dark, just in between. Not exactly traditional nailpolish red but not too far off. If you search for mailbox history in England I'm sure you will find several specimens on the internet, if only on a picture.
   The lightest shade of the standard AC reds was Vermillion (my car had that one originally), then Mail Red, then Svecia Red (or is it Svecia then Mail?), then Rouge Irise which definitely is a maroon shade.
   In 2001 at the annual Dutch meeting I met an Aceca owner who showed us an original AC colour chart. There were at least 20 to 25 colours on the small cards held together by a ring, including all the red shades mentioned here. I was very surprised to see such an item and have never seen another one. Maybe someone else here on the forum also has one in his collection? If you like I can bring you into contact with this Aceca owner.
   I'm sure other people can add more useful info.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:49:52 »
Thanks for the information Jerry, and I suspected the color would probably be some variant of a standard red. Unfortunately, the car I am trying to connect was originally a Maroon color and so I was hoping Mail Red might be a more of Ruby Red. Oh well, back to the archives.
   Jay

SBB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 19:23:48 »
I am involved in the restoration of BEX 389 which I believe was origionaly Mail Red.
   Did you ever come up with a correct color sample?

Thanks, Steve

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 00:14:33 »
Hi

Nice to hear from the owner of a Little known  Ace Bristol.

The Club Register gives date of manufacture as 20 Dec 1957, leaving  Thames Ditton painted Black with Red leather trim and engine 100D738 ............Last heard of in USA  owned by T Carr.

Can you please email a few Period pics of BEX389 and a pic or two as it is today.

Any details appreciated many club members and Tony Bancroft the official ACOC Ace Bristol Registrar.

Any details received will be forward on to Tony.........

Thanking you in anticipation.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 16:02:39 »
Steve,
   I never found a sample of mail red, so if you have a picture it would be appreciated.
   Thanks,
   Jay

bex1210

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:58:16 »
Jerry/Jay:

I have the original color chart book that Jerry mentioned. I bought my car directly from Thames Ditton in early 1963, and the color chart was sent to me in advance so I could select a color.

You are correct that there were three reds, plus a Rouge Irise. My book contains 15 color chips, plus black and white. The paints were a Nitro Valspar Cellulose Lacquer, and produced by the Valentine Varnish & Lacquer Co.

In 1988, I wrote to them, to get information of what base colors were mixed to produce my Vineyard Green. Apparently Valentine was taken over by BASF, because that is who answered (same address). Their Customer Service Department sent me a color chip (which my color chart book contains), a list of the basic colors, and the amount of each required to produce the paint in question.

If you contact them, Jay, they may still have enough information to help you. The address in 1988 was:
   BASF Coatings & Inks Limited
   Colham Mill Road
   West Drayton, Middlesex
   UB7 7AS

Telephone 0895 442233.

Someone who lives in the UK may be able to confirm this address for you.

Hope this helps,

Harry

quote:
Originally posted by bex316

In 2001 at the annual Dutch meeting I met an Aceca owner who showed us an original AC colour chart. There were at least 20 to 25 colours on the small cards held together by a ring, including all the red shades mentioned here. I was very surprised to see such an item and have never seen another one. Maybe someone else here on the forum also has one in his collection?