Author Topic: Photograph question-AC Factory  (Read 2202 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Photograph question-AC Factory
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:40 »
I was wondering if anyone can put a date to this photograph. I found it in a copy of an article from Classic and Sportscar from Oct 1983 and am trying to figure what date the picture is from.

Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:52:54 »
Jay

Familiar picture often used in reference books,  Hard to put exact date on this picture, but looking closely at better quality print all the Aces have flat screens and drum brakes, whilst the Aceca has square lower corners to the windscreen, Assuming all the cars are New and ready for delivery I would date the picture between 1956 and pre August 1957. This is only a guide, let the experts like Rinsey Mills and those who worked at AC at the time, home in on a more accurate date.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 15:40:30 »
Thanks Keith and perhaps I should explain my interest in this particular photo. According to AC records AEX125 originally left the factory on Feb 15, 1956 and was Black with Red interior. In looking the car in the front lower right, it looks like it is a very dark clor with a slightly lighter color interior, maybe a black on red combo? AEX125 also shows holes from where a luggage rack was attached to the trunk at some point and since this car has a rack installed,I am wondering if this car might be AEX125 just prior to leaving the factory. I know it a long shot and could probably never be proven either way, but since I obviously have too much spare time on my hands, I thought I would check into it a bit. Hopefully someone can put a finer date to the picture.
   Thanks again
   Jay