Author Topic: Another chopped Frua  (Read 11998 times)

davidhickman

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« on: March 16, 2008, 23:56:48 »
I've just read a thread about a 428 having been 'chopped' for the chassis for sale in Germany... whilst having an idle look through various sites I found another - this time in France.  Have a look in classiccarsforsale.co.uk
   With a roughly fabricated and inaccurately detailed body I can't imagine it will attract a buyer at anything other than kit car level.
   A shame really.
   It's difficult to chastise too heavily though... what does one do with a 428 that is rusted out, overheated block and broken windscreen etc? - altruism comes at a very high price. This may have something to do with the so called 'depressed' values and in reality there can't be many who would want to pay a high price for the privilage of owning a financial black hole. Last year classic car magazines quoted price guides for an example such as that at Hurst Park in the region of £25K. And then very few know of them and probably prefer the widely recognised italians even though they rust as well.
   It's seems there comes a time, with a silent tear in the eye, when one eventually has to the let the mistress go :'-)

Classicus

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:38:40 »
Hi David

Both conversions already known and listed thanks in a first draft AC 428 Register I cobbled together late last year, which the Club has since removed to be replaced hopefully with their glossy on-line version sometime soon. [8D] I can attach a copy to an e-mail if you need.

To bring you up to date....

Extracted and copied across from old Register I've saved on hard drive :

CFX 35: Fastback. Automatic. Now 428/ Cobra Conversion.
   Manual. LHD. Trade advert: La Baule, Brittany France.
   E-mail received 5/1/08.
   "Dear Sir,
   the car we have for sale is a conversion from an AC Frua 428 to an AC Cobra
   427. The engine is not the original 428 but a 302 that has been fully
   prepared and that devellopps 450 HP. The body is a SC one. The chassis
   number is CFX 35. Aluminium oil and water radiator. Aluminium vapor oil
   Tank. Aluminium water expansion tank. Special laiton 3 discs clutch. Gearbox
   is a toploader close ratio, wheels are original halibrand with hoosier
   tyres.
   Price is 200 000 €uros.
   Sincerly yours,
   Nicolas QUERARD
   PH : 00 33 2 40 24 10 36"

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/23219

(Original ad since taken off their website)

CF ? "AC Cobra 427 SCX 3239 recreated on AC 428 Frua Chassis"

A. "AC Cobra 427 SCX 3239, Red, Black interior. Side oiler engine, Borgwana, Transmission. SC Dashboard, Side pipes. Car was recreated on AC 428 Frua Chassis. Completed and Restored with original parts. Engine since restaurations 1500 Miles. Story of this car You can read in Shelby American World registry - Page 221. Original Car was sold at Auction on Long Iland in June 1991. Last owner unknown. This Car is registered in Germany under Chassis Number SCX 3239. It drives like the original and looks like real 3239."
   (Euro 199,000 = £ 138,043 GBP approx. 0.693687p = 1 Euro.)

B. Message posted - 20 January 2008 :  13:57:26
   http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=807

"….I just read the history of CSX 3239 from pages 221 and 222 of the 1997 SAAC Registry and the only mention of the car described above is as follows: "...a car purporting to be CSX3239 was advertised in the summer of '90 in a catalog for an auction to be held on the Isle of Jersey in 10/90. Advised by several people that the car in England was a fraud, James Classic Car Auctioneers apparently did nothing to prevent its sale. In the summer of '91, following an inspection by Inspector Hinchliffe of New Scotland Yard's Stolen Car Squad, the car in England was confirmed as an air-car. The real 3239 was entered in a Guernsey auction (Greenwich Connecticut) 6/90...." SAAC Registry, 1997. There is no mention of the AC428 converted to create this car or its chassis number. …… The AC 428s are mentioned in the Registry as follows: "These cars are considered the AC successor to the Cobra". Unfortunately, there are no serial numbers or other information listed. "

http://www.classic-center-niederrhein.de/angebotsliste/oldtimerbestand/seiten/accobra427.htm

http://www.classic-center-niederrhein.de/

And a long thread on the whole issue:
   http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=776

Paul/ Cass [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 15:57:38 »
Thanks Paul, you just made my case! Cobra buyers, BE AWARE!

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 18:41:41 »
Credit where credit's due - John L. I haven't a clue about Cobras.

Message posted - 20 January 2008 : 13:57:26
   http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=807

davidhickman

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 23:00:36 »
Oh hello again,
   Thank you for the very informative reply - could say information overload but makes interesting reading.
   Also it seems that not all that glisters is gold. I think it's fair to say that if it looks like a 428 it is a 428 but if it looks like a cobra it could be a snake in the grass!
   I'd certainly be grateful if I could take you up on your offer of the updated 428's when you have that available. My email is james.hickman1@btinternet.com
   Best regards,
   David

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Another chopped Frua
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:30:13 »
It just hit me, The red Cobra above, If you look carefully, you will see that the motor sit way  forward in the engine compartment! Even the footwells are wrong, I doubt it was a 428!

If I had a completely rusted 428 missing too many parts! Easy, purchase a set of stamps, pull off the chassis plate, the instruments, the motor and buy a brand new Kirkham roller! Instant Cobra! The rest could be sold as spares. Incidently, most suspension parts interchange with the Kirkham 427. [:D] Am I going to purgatory for this?

Emmanuel