Author Topic: Supercharger Install  (Read 7909 times)

Max Allan

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 23:44:03 »
ak1234

Before dismissing the idea check out kelly's website http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang50/mustang50.htm

Yes, to get the best out of any supercharger the heads should be changed. But dumping the stock iron heads, which are pretty crap, is a good investment regardless. I was shocked how poorly turned out the stock heads/inlet/exhaust manifolds were - remaniscent of the stuff UK car makers churned out in the 50's. No wonder Superblowers had gasket problems - the spent gasses couldn't get out!

Incidentally, it's better to change heads etc on a low mileage engine - its when an old engine is disturbed that things start going wrone. My Brooklands had only done 2,600 miles when I converted - it turned an old fashioned "cooking engine" into something a bit more lively.

For bags of grunt right through the rev range you can't beat a twin screw blower. Also removing a Kenny and reverting  back to stock isn't a problem - it's a straight bolt on kit.

Max

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 13:02:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

Max,

Yes all of these suggestions basically one is better then the other.  My original intention was to keep the motor basically stock .. for driveabilty and originality.  But I see thats not really possible.  With a Centrifical Supercharger its going to take pulling the motor and upgrading it signifcantly along with all the upgrades that always go along with it.  My choice would be 9psi boost.

I guess its killing me to cut up a 9000 mile car ..so I think I;m going to stick to my Pantera project.

Thanks All Ron

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 13:05:08 »
I hope that you recieved the images of my Superblower set up and the article direct to your direct e-mail address. If not let me know and I will have another go.

Regards

Ian Rogers

Yes all of these suggestions basically one is better then the other.  My original intention was to keep the motor basically stock .. for driveabilty and originality.  But I see thats not really possible.  With a Centrifical Supercharger its going to take pulling the motor and upgrading it signifcantly along with all the upgrades that always go along with it.  My choice would be 9psi boost.

I guess its killing me to cut up a 9000 mile car ..so I think I;m going to stick to my Pantera project.

Thanks All Ron
   [/quote]

ak1234

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 01:16:08 »
Ian,

Yes I recieved the pics and the letter you wrote.  I also recieved a email from John Owen explaining the same points.  The Super Blower needed additional work for it to be fully utilized on 9psi of boost and some upgrades ..which at this point would require altering and adding after market parts.  If I was going to do that I could set up a Small block Ford with Clevland heads and pump out substantial amount of horse power naturally aspired 4V that would make this little AC feel like it was on ICE SKATES ... but for now I thank you all for the info ... my thougts were that the origianl SUPER BLOWER was a thought out and sorted out system... but found out it wasnt.

Thanks ROn

jbottini

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 11:58:58 »
Ron, how about posting John owens email or letter(scan and attach or retype)? Jim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 23:25:53 »
Ron

Not 100% familiar with supercharging a V8,  but Supercharging a Lotus Twincam  in the 1970s with blower up to 6Psi one had to lower CR to under 9:1.

Running at 9Psi one had to reduce the CR to 8:1 otherwise you had head gasket problems,  So surely your better off fitting improved heads to start with.

I know Ian Rogers spent a lot of money, time and effort to acheive a reliable, efficient and satisfactory solution to the running of his Superblower.    I Thought he did all the research and financing himself.

Was under the impression AC Cars didnt want to know or were incapable of resolving the situation. ( Certain components were incorrectly located in the system so would never have worked,  is that not true Ian ??)

Would be very interested to read John Owens (AC Cars Malta) advice. any chance of publishing his / there response.

Ian,  Did you solve the continuing problems with or without AC Cars help ( and financial assistance ???)

Keith

ak1234

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 16:23:43 »
Ok,

First I want to say dont turn this into a pissing match. Because Mr. Owens has always been a first class gentlemen with me.  I dont speak for no one or do I publish their words. But the message he conveyed was as follows:

The Supercharger kit was the 6psi kit part Number - M-6066-A50 From Ford Motorsport. brackets needed modification. The 6 psi didn't give much of an improvement and the 9 psi caused a few problems with head gaskets.

In any Supercharger application on a gasoline engine the compression ratio plays a part.  In this case you should be able to use a Centrifical unit with stock 9 to 1 ratio.  The issue as I put pieces together is the cast iron heads, gaskets, head bolts, and such were bone stock and they bolted on 100 hp and expected it to fly.

Ron

Superarnie Mk2

• View Profile
Supercharger Install
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 23:03:13 »
Hi there,
   I have been very interested in this particular thread and felt having read it that I could maybe throw in my 2 pence worth. As some of you may be aware, I have bought ACSB 7020. This was the last of the line of Superblowers that AC made, but it was never finished by AC Cars. I am in the process of finishing the car, which is taking forever!!
   However, I have a Ford 5.0 1994 engine. I have researched the fitting of a Supercharger (as my Superblower should have) to it and I am aware that AC Cars used to fit a Powerdyne unit through Ford Motorsports. I have read some positive and some negaitive reviews on that particular supercharger. If my memory serves me correctly, it is internally driven by a kevlar belt, which I read is prone to snapping? There were other reliability problems with them also. I have also looked at the othet market leading brands including Vortech, Paxton (I believe have now been bought out by Vortech?)and ATI Prochargers.
   From what I have read, Vortech seems to offer a very good and reliable system. It is highly regarded. It is the one which I will eventually go for.
   A couple of things I have read and which must be born in mind and which I would like to pass on are as follows. The Supercharger forces a high volume of air into the combustion chamber resulting in a far more powerful,'power' stroke. The compression ratios also increase. I have therefore stripped my engine down and purchased forged internals to cope with the added power. I have also bought forged dished pistons to reduce the compression ratio. I am aiming for late 7:1 or early 8:1 CR. I have bought new aluminium GT-40 heads which flow far better that the stock iron heads. They also have quite a thick 'deck' to prevent warping and cylinder head sealing problems. This is important because its no good having a supercharger creating a ton more air, if it is restricted by the narrow inlet passages. I have also bought Ford Racing SS exhaust headers, again to improve the flow of gas through the heads.
   The stock engine computers aren't really capable of dealing with the new engine parametres created by aftermarket improvements and I have read you'd have to have the computer chipped with I think what is called a Tweecer, although I may be wrong on this. I have also heard of better aftermarket computers such as an Anderson PMS which is very capable of refining the engine parametres. I have also heard of Ford having produced an Extreme Performance Engine Control computer, known as an EPEC. It piggy backs onto the back of your existing engine computer but takes over the control at certain points. This is the system I have bought. I can't comment on its ability yet as my engine isn't yet built.
   Another thing is that the stock injectors are only 24lb items. The problem with these are that if your engine decides it needs to squirt a load of petrol into the cylinder for a given mass of air, if your injectors don't have the capacity to meet the demand, it will burn lean and could cause pre-detonation. Ive gone for 30lb injectors to cope with lowish boost levels (6-8 lb)So there is alot to think about when putting a Supercharger onto these engines. The above is a very quick and simplified input but I hope it has been of use to you all.