Author Topic: AC Cars Manufacturing Ltd  (Read 38387 times)

Mark IV

• View Profile
AC Cars Manufacturing Ltd
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 02:06:44 »
Yes, sadly Brian Burford took his own life. If he indeed directed the destruction of AC records, it was on order from above, i.e. B. A.

The bank was NOT reluctant to call in the receivers, in fact they profited mightily by this action. Had Brian not been all over the board with Ford on powertrains for the Ace and had he targeted a different market and price point, we might not be having this discussion today.

Never the less, B.A. was mostly forthright and honorable in his businbess(at least as applies to AC/Autokraft)comment removed by moderator.

So you worked with Paul Downing?

henryst

• View Profile
AC Cars Manufacturing Ltd
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 21:25:47 »
Yes , i knew Paul. He was there when I started, and remained there when I was made redundant. He had, and I hope still has,a remarkable sense of humour which would make many 'comedians' seem like amateurs.
   If he reads this, 'Hello Fatty'. I enjoyed working with you and trust you are well.

Brian Burford was the wrong man for the job, though the right man for the 'old fashioned' company. He had no engineering know how and unfortunately showed this on several occasions. He fitted in well with the company with regard to his understanding of the way smaller companies operate. BA's choice of replacement general managers was not too good. Only one, Simon Hough, made any impact. Alas, he saw the writing on the wall and left after perhaps 18 months.

Details regarding 'business' came through the grapevine, thus my hopeful suggestion that such information was 'suggested'. I was not party to management decisions other than those regarding actual manufacture.

It is rather upsetting to read of all the recent details of AC in recent years. Feedback from old colleagues suggested the rationalisation of the business (was it in Duncan Hamiltons old workshops?) was working, though the proposed move to Malta was not good news.

A Russian owner next?

Peter