Author Topic: Ace Boot Panels  (Read 2941 times)

pls01

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« on: March 07, 2008, 15:09:48 »
While apart for repair work, I took the opportunity to make drawings of the interior boot panels.  I have six preliminary drawings, the left and right sides, floor, bulk head, top and access panels.  If someone needs these for a restoration, I can finish the drawings and send them.  Otherwise, I will put them aside and complete them later.

Peter Stanwicks

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:15:54 »
Peter,
   While I do not need dimensions or drawings I do have a question regarding the side panel where the gas filler goes. Was your panel straight from top to bottom or did it have a bend/indentation to clear the filler neck? I am still having some problems getting mine to clear the hole in the fender and have started adding an indentation while still installed on the car. I may not be able to get all of the clearance I need, so I may have to remove it for further modification.
   Thanks,
   Jay

pls01

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 21:49:14 »
Jay,
   I measured 5/8" to 3/4" from the outside diameter of the pipe inside the fender to the side panel.  The side panel just touches the outside diameter of the big rubber washer on the underside of the fender.  My side panel is generally flat in this area.  There might be a 1/4" indent around the filler or it may just be a little wobble since the panel has similar features further forward.

There is a slight bend line at the diagonal tube.  Below this bend line the panel bend outwards as the boot floor is too wide and the side panels must be spread apart at the bottom.  The bend at this line may be insufficient so the top tips inward as the bottom is spread.  I had a difficult time getting the floor out when the sides were in place.
   Peter

Bernie

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 17:12:35 »
Jay,
   If Peters drawings or info is not enough, I can take photos of my gas filler location so you can visually see everything. My Ace is currently up on stands with the wheels removed so pictures are easy to get.

Regards, Bernie Havel
            Port Huron, MI.

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:20 »
Peter,
   Thanks for the info and with my car the panel pretty much bisected the filler hole when it was straight. I have bent the inner panel in the filler neck area and now I have it close to the edge, but it is still not clear of the filler hole. Based on your clearance measurement, I will probably need to remove the panel and "tweek" it a bit more, but maybe I can get a little more out of it while it is still in the car.
   Bernie,
   If you could get a picture of the inner panel in the area of the filler neck and the gas cap placement in the fender it would help. Maybe my gas cap placement in further inboard than others?
   Jay
   E-mail address-
   SFM081atimpulsedotnet

Bernie

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 18:14:40 »
Jay, Sorry that I hav'nt responded sooner, been traveling and without my laptop.My wife made me leave it at home. Do you still need photos?, I'll be home April 2nd. Let meknow,,,,,,,,,
   Regards, Bernie

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Boot Panels
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 03:10:54 »
Bernie,
   No problem and I don't think I need pictures.I tried bending my panel slightly and I still have a problem so it looks like I need to take the panel out and trim it a bit and then shape it to fit.
   Thanks anyway,
   Jay