Author Topic: Chassis paint  (Read 3177 times)

Big col

• View Profile
Chassis paint
« on: October 04, 2018, 16:28:37 »
I am working on a 16/66 and have reached the point of addressing the chassis. I will be having it blasted to save on hours of slave labour but am still undecided on the finish.
Powder coating is easy but for originality I am edging toward paint.
Can anyone advise on quality products and suppliers preferably in the north.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: Chassis paint
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 00:35:43 »
Big Col

If you decide to powder coat, may I suggest you go for Satin Finish,  Whilst powder coating chassis and various parts that vary in thickness, You will achieve a much better more uniform finish.  Gloss or Matt  can appear patchy and uneven in finish.  Possibly due to curing time and temperature ??

Just a point, learnt from experience, maybe one or two other members can confirm similar experience.

Cheers

Keith

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:25:53 »
Thanks Keith,
I talked with an old colleague and doubts have been put in my mind about powder coating. Those doubts may be related with your point about the type of finish selected.
The problem pointed out is that damp can ingress minor imperfections in the coating causing the base metal to rot, while the chassis can be happily rotting away the coating looks lovely.
I suppose that all depends upon the skill of application.
When all is said and done the same can be said of paint.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 18:26:47 »
Hi I would use POR15 you can get it from Frosts automotive restorations.  It is superb comes in both gloss and satin. Powder coating does chip and crack then moisture gets inside and bang the chassis will rot away unnoticed until its to late. I had a Caterham chassis powder coated and with 2 years it had cracks and stared rusting, got it blasted, hot metal sprayed (zinc coating this can be left and will not rust) then I coated it with POR15. My Serie2a Landy is done this way as well and 5 years on doing lots of off road just jet wash and all good.

Cheers  Gary
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 19:55:11 »
I've used Bondaprimer with good results in the past.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 16:15:04 »
Thanks for the replies. I called into a local paint suppliers and had a chat. They seemed to think that a primer then top coat and then lacquer would be the best bet.
I looked at the Frost web site and have decided to go and visit them at some point to further discuss the difference in products they sell.
My preferred powder coater is happy that the process can be achieved with good results if I want to go down that root.
So still not decided but I have a month or so to decide finally. At the moment it’s 60/40 towards paint.