Author Topic: 21055 New Owners  (Read 5076 times)

tclynes

• View Profile
21055 New Owners
« on: October 01, 2018, 20:15:26 »
Good Evening,

After looking around for a while for a vintage car to enjoy with the VSCC, and failing to fit in nearly all Austin 7's, me and Dad bought a 1924 AC Royal last week.

The car is probably known on here, sold to the Isle of Man originally, before being imported to England in 1962, living in the Black family museum and then being recommissioned in 2014.

We have been enjoying tinkering with it so far (much easier to work on than previous cars) and after the checks and fluids, next on the list is an electric fan. Driving wise, she seems lovely, the only issue we are having is restarting when hot, which I feel is due to vapourising in the carb, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We intend to use her properly, so will get along to any meets and hopefully meet a few of you.

Best wishes,

Tom

Big col

• View Profile
Re: 21055 New Owners
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 21:43:42 »
Congratulations on your purchase. It looks great. Hope you have many a happy mile in it. Glad to hear that you intend to use it.
Between the AC club and VSCC you should have all the help you may need to stay running.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:05:54 »
Lovely looking car, enjoy it. Great to hear its not going to be locked away. Well done.

G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

tclynes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 09:07:42 »
Thank you.

Just getting it registered with the VSCC now so we can start competing.

We are also currently debating the best way to fit an electric fan to the curved radiator!

Tom

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:02 »

We are also currently debating the best way to fit an electric fan to the curved radiator!

Take a look at SPAL fans (www.spalautomotive.co.uk) They can be fitted very neatly to the curved rad. Here's two photos, admittedly this one fitted to a six-cylinder, but four would be just as tidy (and efficient):

tclynes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:39:57 »
That is exactly what we need, thank you!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 13:40:00 »
The system you have looks like thermo siphon with the mechanically driven fan disconnected. Old crocks photos looks like a water pump has been fitted to the belt drive output shaft.

I recall looking at inline electrical water circulation fans (you look to have very long hoses perfect for the purpose as well as rad fans but my system was 6v  and most available equipment was 12v.

I also installed long reach spark plugs from Tim Green and that improved things as the plugs on my car (Swift) were recessed in the head and prone to wetting & carbon build up.
Also worth considering a thorough rad removal and flushing in case matrix clogged (though that can highlight dormant leaks).

Graham

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 12:53:44 »
Old crocks photos looks like a water pump has been fitted to the belt drive output shaft.

On the Anzani above, looks like the pulley is in place but the fan’s been removed. On early Anzanis did this drive the dynamo also? Could try and source original parts (Anzani parts do come up for sale) or, at least for the time being, fit an electric fan so the car can be used. By the way, all the Royals I’ve seen have been 12 volt.

My photos above show a six-cylinder. They didn’t have fans fitted in the 1920’s (well, maybe for export they might have (!), as a couple of cars returned from South Africa do have fans, driven from the crankshaft and there is a ‘convenient’ flat casting on the block for the mounting, as if just for the purpose - you can see it, between cyl. head and bottom hose). Anyway, the Six though does have a water pump, this driven by the overhead camshaft (so Graham, not a drive for a fan belt). Still not enough cooling though for use in today’s traffic, so most/all Sixes have an additional electric fan in place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 13:00:03 by Old Crock »

tclynes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 16:51:19 »
There are diagrams of fans that work of the front pulleys in the paperwork we have, but we do not have one. A simple two blade thing so may have been removed for being inefficient and an electric one fitted previously. We have ordered a spal fan, so will have a fiddle with it at the weekend.

Tom

Manubroy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 18:02:32 »
It's a lot of emotion for me to discover this car again : I had for many years the very same car in my family photo album : this pic was taken in the summer of 1957 during the carnival of the isle of Man (I don't know exactly where) and we can recognize in the front the left part of its old Manx registration.
My father, Jean-Pierre Broyer, in Pierrot disguise is in the dickey seat with a fellow student in Egyptian and the car was said to belong from their host family.‎ They were French students in language stay.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 18:19:32 by Manubroy »

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 07:33:41 »
Great photo!