Author Topic: Ace Lucas Wiring Diagram  (Read 7706 times)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Ace Lucas Wiring Diagram
« on: September 27, 2018, 13:49:15 »
There have been various discussions here on the Ace Lucas wiring diagram. I have been musing over the one I have.

Titled as follows:      Lucas Electrical Equipment A.C. "Ace" Sports Cars (1955-57) Home and Export Models

Information boxes as follows: Wiring Diagram No. W29340A Supersedes W29340 which should be destroyed

And: Issued March 1957

I suppose this diagram covers most Aces, except that there is an existing post by Keith Lessiter which references a different diagram as follows:

Wiring Diagram for 1956/1957 Ace Home & Export Models 
   reference no. W31520A issued  February 1957
   (supercedes W31520)

All this is rather academic unless you are trying to get the wiring as original. Firstly both these suffix 'A' diagrams supersede an earlier version and both cover dates which do not go back to the first years of Ace production. Again does this really matter ? Well apart from from originality I think it does as, at least in the case of AE 22, the components do not match the diagram. For example rather than supplying an earth, to activate the live horn circuit, the horn push controls a horn relay. Easy enough to make up the required circuit, but not so easy to get the cable colour code original without the relevant diagram. Next question would be at which Car No. did the horn relay get deleted ?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: Ace Lucas Wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:13:47 »
Barrie
Not sure If any of these can help.

According to Lucas   Equipment & Spare Parts for AC Cars  "Ace Sports"  ,  "Aceca Coupe",  Greyhound GT Saloon and Cobra    Reference  CE852/63    (1963?)

Horn Relay.
Part number   33188B
Model  6RA

Regards Wiring Diagrams...….. I have the following:-

Wiring Diagram  No  W31520     April 1956   

Wiring Diagram  No  W31520A    February 1957 (1956-57)

Wiring Diagram  No   W29340A  March 1957 ( 1955-57)  supersedes  W29340

May  I suggest you email or phone John Spencer and see what he has in the ACOC  Archives / Club Library.... ;)
I will give you a call later this morning.

Keith

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:43:22 by AC Ace Bristol »

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 07:16:37 »
Wiring diagram No. W29340 issued April 1955 shows the horn wiring as per later editions with no relay.

Interestingly, photos available online of AE23 show no horn relay fitted. I've also recently worked on AE31 ex works July 1954 which also has no relay.

I find it odd that a horn relay once fitted would have been deleted from subsequent models, as I see it as an improvement over the "standard" setup where all the electrical load, (all be it momentarily) runs directly through the horn switch contacts. I think this is also borne out by horn & I think overdrive relays being fitted to later Acecas.

All this being said many of the Aces made by AC Cars throughout the years of production seem to have differed in many small ways, maybe due to being hand made or parts shortages etc. For example, AE31 shows no signs of mounting holes in the rear body panels or mounting brackets for the fitment of rear overriders, although some of the cars built earlier clearly had them.

Regards Luke.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:20:14 by Klassik Metall »

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:46:38 »
There are two  from Barry H's archive on the Ace page:

Members' Area -> Model Directory -> Ace -> Articles -> Wiring Program (should be Diagram!) - page 1 is the 55 - 57 document and page 2 has no header but is believed to be for a '57 AC engined car - clarification would be welcome, origin uncertain.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 17:50:33 »
Well all those, but one, are no earlier than the W29340A diagram I have. The archive second version shewn in the Ace Register looks like a reproduction from a General Instructions handbook - the clue is the page number (52) at the bottom. This does not match the page number for wiring diagrams in any handbook I have, but there may well be other editions.
I would be inclined to believe that the early cars were built before Lucas publications caught up were it not for the interesting Suffix A and the instruction to destroy the earlier non Suffix A version.
Luke makes a good point in that the horn push suffers from arcing in taking full horn current and the fitment of a 6RA relay is a much better solution. It is hard to believe that AE22 and 23 had different wiring, but it seems that they did: Looking at various photo's it would appear that the sparkies had already appreciated that the positioning of the components on the port footbox was cramped and for '23 spread things out a little. In fact as production continued the electrical components migrated further afield around the engine bay. For example the DB10 indicator/lights relay moved to the front port wheel arch.
Could Luke post a copy of W293040 which seems to be the earliest so far ?
Barrie

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 13:48:42 »
Luke,
Many thanks for sending me the photograph of W29340 (this is the pre Suffix A diagram.) It is obviously an early version, not just by issue date, but also as it shews the single speed wiper.
Barrie

bernhard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 14:47:21 »
Hi,i´m searching for an Ac Ace Bristol wiring diagram too.
Can anyone help me with a readable diagram?
Thanks,
Bernhard

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 11:42:38 »
Bernhard

Please confirm which Chassis number of you Ace / Aceca  and wiring diagram you require, I will  enlarge and  furnish you with A3 size copy, which you can laminate and refer to when working on your Ace/ Aceca.
ACOC international next week followed by Silverstone Classic so  my response might be delayed till first week of August.
Please confirm you address.. are you in the UK ? Europe,  USA ???
Cheers
Keith

bernhard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 22:57:16 »
Hello,thanks for helping!
I´m located in Austria,working on car No. BEX449,
and i´m in need of a complete wiring diagram.
My adress is:
Bernhard Gugrel
Venusbergerstrasse 28
3133 Traismauer
Austria
b.gugrel@a1.net
best regards,
Bernhard

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 12:26:16 »
Bernhard

A3 copy of Ace Wiring Diagram W29340A  in  Postal system today,    ;) ..   Hopefully you can read all the small print,   Photo copy of photo copy one
can lose clarity.
Should you need  more information,  please  do not hesitate to email.
Cheers for Now

Keith
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:41:56 by AC Ace Bristol »

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 11:27:57 »
Just a little aside to this, which I'm sure you already know anyway:  Lucas wiring colours conform to a standard code for each function, usually pretty detailed, and common across their entire production.  There should be a set colour for each pathway and each 'direction', which I've found to be constant for all British cars of the period.

Roger

gtjoey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 21:29:43 »
Can someone tell me on the diagram which fuse is 25 and which fuse is 50?
Thanks
gtjoey1314