Author Topic: MKIV on Ebay  (Read 3703 times)

AK1131

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:28:19 »
There is an interesting MKIV on Ebay. Looks like AK3002

Go To:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shelby-COBRA-NO2-85-BLACK-MANUAL-5-SPEED-CONVERTIBLE-ROADSTER-FL_W0QQitemZ270028792168QQihZ017QQcategoryZ6465QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#lg

Mark IV

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 14:53:44 »
Notice that it has the 16" front original whells and has 15s on the rear. And the Nitrous would make me think twice.....I'm sure this has NEVER been drag raced or driven hard (7500 miles......1/4 mile at a time! The AK number seems familiar, I may have sold this one new.
   Rick

AK1131

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 20:37:42 »
The dealer told me that Bill Joel owned the car. Ring a bell?

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 02:25:52 »
Hello all,
       Mark IV,  I really like the look of the big 15"s on the rear, was this an option?  If not, how can I get 2 rear rims like that?  My car is being delivered by this Tuesday !!  I can't wait.

Anyway, may I also ask, if one wanted to mount 15" Halibrands or even Trigo's on a MKIV, what sizing does a MKIV use for the knockoff wheels,  maybe it is me, but the 15" wheels really do look better on a Cobra, but you know what opinions are like !!

Thanks in advance,
   Jan

Mark IV

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:38:50 »
NO, the car was NOT owned by Billy Joel, it was owned by Frank Weber, his brother-in-law (first wife, pre Christy Brinley. Billy sued Frank for a bazzilion dollars for mis-management (Frank was his manager and financial guy) and Frank sold the car. It has been sold a couple of time and represented as "Billy Joel's" car[:0]. I don't even know if Billy ever rode in it. I delivered to Franks house in Smithtown on the island.

The 15" wheel are available from Trigo Wheels (Lynn Park, longtime Cobra guy and nice guy) if you want the 60's look.

I thought the AK number sounded familiar. I do believe it has had at least two owners isnce Weber and how it ended up at Maroone for sale is unknown to me. BTW, I grew up with the Maroone family when they lived in Buffalo.

Small world.....[:D]
   Rick

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 03:28:56 »
Rick,  great knowledge you have with the Ak's.   Just to confirm, the Trigo 6 pin 427 wheel will fit the AK hub and not rub the fender flare?  Reason I ask, is that the owner of the car I'm buying is also giving me 2 original rear wheels as he said he had to get 2 replacements in order to use the knockoff and that the original wheels in the rear wouldn't allow it?  Does this make any sense?

TIA,

Jan

PS, are you ever in the CT area for a Q & A?  I must admit, I'm a little nervous about the rarity of these cars and I hope I can find spares and expertise to guide me, I plan on keeping the car forever and being buried in it !!!

Mark IV

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:46:38 »
The reason he couldn't use the knockoffs with the 16" original wheels is due to the "boss" on the 16. This fouls the taper of a knock-off before the spinner seats. The solution is to flycut the back of the knockoff wings OR to have the boss on the wheel machined down. The tapers will then mate. BTW, you need a 1-3 degree interferance fit for a knock-off to stay tight. And NEVER go without safety wire!
   Rick

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 03:55:09 »
Rick,
      Thanks, some of what you said may have been a different language !!  But, I sort of understand, pretty interesting the original owner of the car would have 2 more wheels customized to do that, so I guess I'm lucky.  Curious as to what the "boss" is.

Also, what is a 1-3 degree interference kit and where can you get them?  I will always use safety wire, he actually gave me wire and a hammer with the car.  Pictures can be seen here of the car:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingReg.jsp?Uc=h85wouu.6k8owjum&Uy=-a5mnl8&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=12308356322_192285831206

Thanks,

Jan

MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 15:26:08 »
MARKIV / Rick,

Have you any info on who the original owner was of my car ??  Does anyone have the original invoice info.

Ron

Mark IV

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 20:49:23 »
Jan,
   the "Boss" is the raised section on the wheel where the spinner threads into. It can be machined down to clear the spinners. It has no bearing on wheel strength. The "interferance fit" refers to the angle that the seat of the wheel and the taper of the nut/knock-off have. If the angle of the wheel seat is 45 degress the nut must be 46 or 47 degrees to forcean "interferance fit", i.e. the taper angles must not be the same. Many early MK IVs did not have sufficient interferance and tended to loosed the hub nuts. If not safety wired a lost wheel would result......I know from first hand experiance!

Ron,
   The ACOC Mk IV registrar should have the info for your car. I have many invoices and build sheets for the cars I imported and sold (currently in storage, I will make them available in a couple of weeks after I get settled and dig out my files)

Rick

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV on Ebay
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 03:00:21 »
Rick,
     Thanks, I actually took delivery of the car today, it is beautiful and I consider my self very fortunate to own such a car !!!

jan