Author Topic: Gas Cap/Filler attachment  (Read 2873 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Gas Cap/Filler attachment
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:57:29 »
I'm getting closer to having my car back on the road and have another question. Since my car came to me in pieces, I put things back together with what I had and I am not sure I have all of the pieces for the gas cap filler area. I have the gas cap, a large washer that looks like it fits the gas cap, and a piece of steel pipe with internal threads that the gas cap screws into. Are there any other pieces that help cushion the area around the body or do I have everything? It looks to me like the inner trunk panel will be putting some stress on the pipe/gas cap and in turn putting stress on the body, but maybe I am overly concerned with something that is not an issue.
   Thanks,
   Jay

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 18:21:38 »
Jay,
   You may be missing one piece, a large rubber grommet that goes in the hole in the body.  The assembly goes: install the gromment in the body, insert the gas filler through the grommet, the large washer goes up from the bottom and pipe is screwed on to hold the it all together.
   There is a 2-3/8" hose that connects the filler to the tank and a couple hose clamps.
   Mine has about 3/8" clearance from the hose to the trunk panel.
   Installing the gas tank takes a little wiggling to get the filler neck between the trunk panels and the fender. The little bar from the trunk panel to the bottom of the fender needs to be remove for clearance and a little flexiblity
   Peter

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:41 »
Thanks Peter, That makes perfect sense and if I had the grommet it would keep the inner panel from contacting the filler neck.Everything else seems to be there and lines up fine so I'll work on getting the grommet. I'll give Ron Leonard a call tommorow and see if he has it.
   Jay

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 20:54:48 »
Peter,
   According to Ron Leonard, the Aces did not use a grommet, but instead used a flat piece of rubber on the underside and an o-ring on the top side. I still like the grommet idea however and was wondering if you had a source for the correct size grommet?
   Thanks,
   Jay
   PS I am trying to attach some pics of AEX125 as it is finally getting close. I need to do the gas filler and then turn to the interior so hopefully in couple of months it will be done.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 22:38:38 »
You could always cut the gasket from old tyre inner tube....

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 00:44:48 »
Jay,
   Ron maybe right.  I can't get mine apart to determine if it is a one piece gromment or a flat rubber washer and an O ring.  I assumed it was a gromment.

The car looks great.
   Peter

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:57:50 »
Peter, Thanks for checking and yea the car is starting to look good. I've put together an assortment of grommets, orings, and rubber pieces and this weekend I'll figure out which works best on the car. I think if I can get the trunk panel out of the way of the hole, the original arrangement will probably work, but I'm not sure how much I can bend the inner panel so one of the other approachs may work best.
   Thanks again to all.
   Jay