Author Topic: CF 1 - LPH 800D in action on "The Avengers"...  (Read 12749 times)

cmaddox3

• View Profile
CF 1 - LPH 800D in action on "The Avengers"...
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:50:25 »
Hello everyone,

I've had this DVD laying around for ages, ran across it this evening and I thought I'd see what I could whip up for YouTube...

So, here [at the link] is every frame I could find of CF 1 [A.K.A. LPH 800D] in The Avenger's Episode "Invasion of the Earthmen":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjpMAhPznQ

I'm sure a professional could do a better job of it, but I think it's ok for about 25 minutes of actual effort.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

--  Chuck

P.S. It's a happy coincidence that the timer at the most exciting part of these clips is in the 4:27 through 4:28 range...

P.P.S. I also have this clip as a 32.3mb iTunes/iPod ready file if anyone is interested...

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:20:24 »
Great stuff Chuck very period and memorable ! I used to watch one or two of the earlier Avengers' programmes with Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg as well though many of the plots were ridiculously hard to follow. Any idea of the show's date ?

http://theavengers.tv/forever/

Couple of things I noticed were no wing mirrors, nice touch the old Land Rover's registration being 695 EAC, great throttle control not leaving the two extra passengers in the mud, steering wheel looked authentic though not sure about Steed's random left right, left right control of it, and judging from Tara King's closeness to Steed she would probably have been sitting on the glove box. As for those ultra familiar greasy back English country lanes and the muddy Rallycross gloop that's always there to get bogged down in if you dare drop a wheel, surprised they didn't do a couple of 360's finishing up in the deepest waterlogged ditch going ! (Anyone ever practised handbrake turns in a 428 ?)

I'll also add a link to CF 1 on the next Update to the Register.

Paul/ Cass [:)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 13:12:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Great stuff Chuck very period and memorable ! I used to watch one or two of the earlier Avengers' programmes with Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg as well though many of the plots were ridiculously hard to follow.[/i]
Well, this episode looked particularly cheesy.  A lot of purple and green painted interiors, sort of the choice of colors one would expect the Comic book character Batman's Arch foe "The Joker" to pick out.  Add to that a bunch of Zombie like young people and a fellow running about in an over inflated suit looking like a silverized cross between Humpty Dumpty and Bip the Michelin Man and you have a show that I scrubbed through as quickly as I could.  I mean I like Patrick McNee, but ...  But in all fairness, it probably on average was no more cheesy than the average Star Trek episode from the 1960's.

quote:

Any idea of the show's date ?

According to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Avengers_episodes#Series_6_.281968-1969.29], it was first aired in the UK on 15 January 1969 and was the 16th Episode of the 6th season.

quote:

Couple of things I noticed were no wing mirrors, nice touch the old Land Rover's registration being 695 EAC, great throttle control not leaving the two extra passengers in the mud, steering wheel looked authentic though not sure about Steed's random left right, left right control of it, and judging from Tara King's closeness to Steed she would probably have been sitting on the glove box. As for those ultra familiar greasy back English country lanes and the muddy Rallycross gloop that's always there to get bogged down in if you dare drop a wheel, surprised they didn't do a couple of 360's finishing up in the deepest waterlogged ditch going ! (Anyone ever practised handbrake turns in a 428 ?)

I'll also add a link to CF 1 on the next Update to the Register.

Paul/Cass [:)]

Things I noted... They had to have CF 1 up on crates for the interior shooting sequences...  I can't believe there is anywhere near that much slop in the AC's steering box.  Steed pressed the center of the steering wheel to sound the horn, on CF 7 the horn is activated by a push on the end of the turn signal.  I'm not entirely certain but the glove box might be located in the center of the dash [hard to tell in the brief glimpse], and I am sure the folks at AC were thrilled with the thought of two actor's posteriors sitting on the top cover whilst they were driven around.  People in 1960's Britian believed in using turn signals about as much as most American's do [now or then].

I'm happy to have learned about CF 1's appearance via this site: http://theavengers.tv/forever/cars-2.htm.  And hence ordered this DVD ages and ages ago [long before I knew about this site].  I'm pleased I came across the DVD last night and have learned the ropes of the latest version of iMovie and YouTube enough to share it with everyone.

Cheers and Enjoy!

--  Chuck

P.S. While I have used yhe handbrake on CF 7, I've used it as a parking brake, not for rapid 180's.