Author Topic: Replacement engine mounts MkIV & CRS  (Read 2625 times)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Replacement engine mounts MkIV & CRS
« on: August 15, 2018, 22:39:58 »
Has anyone updated  the standard rubber (#2683 & 2682)(and now old & likely perished) engine mounts (or motor mounts in the US) to  polyurethane?
Any views on them &  could you source them in the UK/Europe?

Polyurethane versions seem available from a few sources in the USA -CJPONY have own brand and also Prothane motion control , and separately Energy suspension do a set. They are the later one piece.

The original ones on my CRS and anecdotaly and alloy MKIV (confirming) have a separate plate(that attach's to engine)  that fits on to the smaller twin mount studs with  two nuts (See pictures)
or link
https://www.ebay.com/p/2-Pcs-Motor-Mount-Kit-for-Ford-Mustang-3-8l-232-Eng-Coupe-1984-Fox-Body/1765232560?iid=152046214227

From what I have read the later one piece mounts (apparently interchangeable)  are more robust (rubber) and the only option in polyurethane. The OEM separate plate style are discontinued.
Mine were torn up badly on the rearward side-its hard to spot insitu & compression, but another car I looked at was similar and will have star like hairline cracks -but how deep they run will not be known unless removed.

The mounts look to be changeable in-situ if the inner wheel arch panels are removed and the engine can be lifted to clear the main single stud from the locating slot-or perhaps removing the engine bolts and rotating out. This is yet to be confirmed -unless someone has done this and describe the procdeure.

Regards,
Graham
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:53:38 by Flyinghorse »

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Re: Replacement engine mounts MkIV & CRS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 19:32:44 »
I have ordered  Prothane polyurethane mounts and energy suspension transmission mount and will see how they go with the newly rebuilt Tremec T5.
I will try to post some comparison pics.