Author Topic: BEX404 for sale at Barrett-Jackson  (Read 3196 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
BEX404 for sale at Barrett-Jackson
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:10:10 »
BEX404 will be coming up for sale at the Barrett-Jackson auction on Saturday 19 Jan. 2008. It is listed as lot #1289, and should be one of the cars shown on TV during the live brodcast. Just recently restored, will be interesting to see if this continues the upward trend of ACs passing the $250K US mark. Pictures are at:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/carlist_Details.aspx?&In_LotNumber=1289

Anyone from the club going to bid?

Peter
Peter B.

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:29:08 »
I reckon the car shown in the link is BEX403, not BEX404.
   Charles Crail who restored and offered the car on their website already mingled 2 pics of BEX403 with the pics of BEX404, presumably to show what BEX404 might look like once the restoration would be finished. Mind, they also sold BEX403 before.
   Now that's okay but it's not so accurate to show those same pics of the other car when it's going up for auction.
   One thing, 404 has a red interior while 403 has a black one. The pics now show 403 with a red interior. Still it's the old pic. Just compare the following pics:
   http://www.charlescrail.com/gone.php?id=77b6f70a15d895ad0ec3eff51f48dcc3
   http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/62207/62207_Front_3-4.jpg

I thought Photoshop could produce better results?

By the way, I was the highest but still unsuccessful bidder on BEX403 on eBay in June 2001 when Randall Baselt offered it for sale. Prices were still in a different league at that time!

Jerry

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 14:39:56 »
You're right, definitely a modified photo of the same car. Even the old shop rag behind the grill is evident in the front shots. Guess I'll wait to see what the car really looks like on TV!

Jerry, wouldn't you like to go back in time and buy BEX403 at the June 2001 price now?!

Peter
Peter B.

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 15:27:14 »
There are pics of the "real" BEX404 on the Charles Crail website however the car isn't completely finished there yet.
   I say "real" because according to the Ace Bristol register there's a duplicate BEX404 in England.
   That car was offered (and sold?) by Jonathan Bradburn not so long ago. Good to see they were honest about its background.

About BEX403, I remember we bid up to $ 60,000 plus and that wasn't a high price at all even in 2001. However the seller had already told me his reserve price was $ 90,000 so we were not in serious bidding territory yet. Later I found out on the net it was sold at another auction for $ 82,500.
   Maybe I wasn't a serious bidder at that time already owning another one but for $ 60,000 I was dead serious!
   Looking back is always easy but at that time I considered 90K to be a lot of money.
   I regret more being outbid in the last minute on Aceca BEX652 a few months before which sold for $ 7,800 being a restoration project but including its original Bristol engine and gearbox.

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 16:15:51 »
Hi Jerry

Long time no hear.......

You are 100% correct  The picture Barrett & Jackson are showing depicts BEX403, Blue Ace with Black interior, I have pictures of the car from 1990.

BEX404 ( the Real one.... not the copy )  was bought in California by Robert Pass of St Louis,  due to his restorer not working to agreed scheduel, Robert gave up and sold BEX404 to Charles Crial,  who also I believe has or had BEX403. ( Robert then bought BEX339)

I Have the origonal  well faded seat covers from BEX404 which Ron Varney shipped over to the UK in the boot(Trunk)of BEX280 in November / December 2006.

BEX280 was bought by Eiji Taguchi. reference my Letter in ACtion Feb2007. (small world as it was Eiji who bought one of the two fake Aces from Coys a few years back, of which both the new owners took legal ACtion to retrieve their money and expences, not sure who now owns the two Clones.)

Barrett & Jackson web site shows a Corvette as lot number 1289

This confusion doesnt help maintain accurate records of Authenticity of our Aces and Cobras, especially as they are now changing hands for £125K plus  & £270K plus respectively.

Jerry, I must send you some pdfs and jpegs of Various  USA Racing Aces from the 1950s / 60s,  Tony Bancroft, Tim Isles and I are trying to establish and ID of some twenty five or more Aces e.g.  put Drivers , Aces (Chassis Nos) and racing numbers together,   The drivers - Pilots of the mid to late 1950s are now 75 to 90 years
   old so history will be lost if we dont recall this data now.

If any AC enthusiast can help confirm accurate facts and substantiate
   with period pictures please email to me ( Keith dot lessiter at faac  dot co dot uk) I will forward on to the respective   AC Ace /Bristol registrar.

Sorry to bore the Pants off you all.............in the mean time. Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy  & Prosperous New Year,  may all your Barn finds be NOS,  mint and Boxed.

Enjoy ! !

Keith

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 16:51:38 »
Keith,

This gives me an idea, I work in IT and could knock up a database containing history and electronic photos of each car. This would allow current owners to keep there records upto date.

Also anyone wanting to buy a car can check out the detailed photo's to see if the car has changed.

What do you think? It would be secure and my view should be only for members in same way as the current login.

Last point the registed owner would be the only person to update the information. Linking cars, drivers, races is really hard as the car chassis number was rarely linked to a driver.

Anyway, have a great new year!!

Thanks

John.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:15:43 »
BEX404 just sold for $258,500 US (including commission), right on the money for current prices it seems.
Peter B.