Author Topic: Ace Bristol tires  (Read 2997 times)

awilliams

• View Profile
Ace Bristol tires
« on: September 13, 2006, 16:15:13 »
My Ace Bristol is fitted with 15" wheels and has Dunlop race tires.  The tires look good as they fill the wheel openings but for street purposes, do not handle as well as another car I had that was fitted with Michelins.  Does anyone have any suggestions for tires that would perhaps be bigger than the Michelins but work just as well or better?  Note that I am in the US so I need to find something available here.

On another note, I have an XK 120 that I've been thinking of getting a set of Blockley tires for.  Has anyone had experience with these?

Regards,
   Andy Williams

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Bristol tires
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 21:05:52 »
Hi Andy

In the past 8 / months the market has woken up to the fact that Aces & Acecas mainly running on 16" wheels had little or no choice of tyre.

This year at least 7 or 8 of us have gone onto Avon Turbosteels   165 x 16" they are 100% for both Road use & racing / competition.  not sure if they do them in 15".

16" wheels fill the arches and the car rides at a good hieght, lots of AC Owners went onto 15" wheels simply to get a choice of tyre.

Michelin have brought out a new tyre As have Blockley. Who are producing their new range in 16",lots of XK120/140 etc are racing on blockleys noise level is higher cant say anything regards road holding and longjevity of blockleys. But the difference in Driving my Ace hard on Avons is so much better than the last couple of sets of Dunlop Racers, which left a lot to be desired on greasy roads or track especially in the wet after a few days of Sunshine.

Sizes above 165 will foul rear wheel arches on Ace, but clear on a Aceca which can take 175 & possibly 185 subject to profile.

Visit Longstone Tyres    www.longstonetyres.co.uk

Good Luck

Keith

awilliams

• View Profile
Ace Bristol tires
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 16:41:56 »
Dear Keith,

Thanks very much for the info.  It is very helpful.  I have a set of 16" wheels, although they need to be restored.  I know that previously available tires fouled the rear wheel arches on Aces.  Are you sure there is no problem with the 165's.

Andy

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Ace Bristol tires
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 00:18:21 »
Andy

If you have trouble with 165 x 16" Avons rubbing on the rear wheel arches, you need to check your transverse leaf spring is correctly located, that your spring has not flattened and the bushes in the rear spring and the rear geometry are 100%.

Granted each Ace is hand built so each side can differ slightly, also Aces often left Thames Ditton with unequal camber on rear wheels.

You should not have any problem, however if cornering hard two up you find you are just touching ( blistering paint on rear asrches ) suggest you ease the rear wing out a millimetre or two with a ali packing piece.

If you pull out too much you will pull the leading or trailing edge of the wing in as the edges are wired.

Rest assured from experience and many thousands of miles by numerous ACOC members you should find the Avon Turbosteels transform your Ace,  experiment with tyre pressures subject to use..... Road / Race.  One up / Two up.

I'm running 27psi front 29psi rear for road and increase pressure for track according to  track temperature & climatic conditions.

Ace look much better on 16 " wheels ,  What diff ratio are you running? and do you have overdrive ??

Hopefully other Ace owners can give you their opinions  regards Michelins and / or Blockleys.

Enjoy

Keith