Author Topic: CF9  (Read 51361 times)

J Jones

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 23:34:09 »
Just to clarify my understanding of the purpose of the overflow tank: the header tank must not allow air to be drawn in when the coolant is contacting (cooling). the vacuum in the header tank draws coolant from the overflow, thereby keeping the header tank topped up, right?

So far, I've replaced the original radiator with a larger aluminum one. The Transmission cooler has been repurposed as an engine oil cooler. The C6 auto box has been replaced with a Tremec T5. The Intake manifold has been replaced with the nearly identical Police Interceptor Aluminum intake. The heads have been replaced by Aluminum Edelbrock heads. Edelbrock (aluminum) water pump in place of the original cast iron lump. New ceramic coated stainless steel headers and exhaust. Insulation, a la Emmanuel.

We shall see what effect all this has on performance and heat issues. As my car is a fastback, and it lives in Southern California, Air Conditioning is still an option. I certainly have no need of a heater, so I expect that will be going as well.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2010, 00:32:01 »
Hi Guys,
   Sounds like you are all having great fun with your 428s in a lovely climate. No need for a heater - wow!

I am no expert on this model, but my sketchy recollection from the late 1960s is that AC fitted a footwell cold air vent (inward bound!) to the Autocar road test Fastback during the test - at Autocar's request! A fine example of AC's bespoke service!

The test car was CF7. If you can locate the present owner the chances are the vent is still fitted.

Enjoy!

J Jones

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2010, 08:03:45 »
Hello ACOArch - Yep!... "cold air" vents in the footwells. My car has them, though the ductwork runs through the engine compartment, where the "cold air" gets nice and toasty before it actually gets to the footwells. That, too, will be changed by re-routing the ducts through the wheel arches (where they were subsequently placed in later models).

Emmanuel will be doing bonnet modifications to facilitate the flow of air through the engine compartment ( therefore eliminating back pressure, hopefully improving air flow through the radiator and reducing hot air flowing into the passenger compartment). Also we hope to fashion a subtile way to bring denser, cold air to the Carb. Making the decorative side vents actually function will be a part of the endeavor to pull air out of the engine compartment.

An odd thing about CFX29 (my car) - all the dated engine parts and transmission were from 1967, just late enough to have been 1968 model year parts. Yet my car 'left the factory' in 1969 and was shipped to Montreal, Canada (subsequently shipped to the USA as a 1970 Ford).  Was it fabricated in England earlier, then held up by the Strikes in Italy? Or were the engine and transmission ordered in 1967, then held in stock? Might it have been for another purpose (an AC 428 big block?). The block is a "Police Interceptor" reinforced block with a scratched letter "C" - the same block used on Shelby GT 500 and "Cobra Jet" mustangs. The heads are not "cobra Jet", though the original Intake manifold could be.

We ARE having fun. It's a real benefit that parts (original and reproduction) are available a fairly plentiful. The original "Cobra" guys are still alive and still working. Excellent!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2010, 20:43:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by J Jones

Hello ACOArch - Yep!... "cold air" vents in the footwells. My car has them, though the ductwork runs through the engine compartment, where the "cold air" gets nice and toasty before it actually gets to the footwells. That, too, will be changed by re-routing the ducts through the wheel arches (where they were subsequently placed in later models).

Emmanuel will be doing bonnet modifications to facilitate the flow of air through the engine compartment ( therefore eliminating back pressure, hopefully improving air flow through the radiator and reducing hot air flowing into the passenger compartment). Also we hope to fashion a subtile way to bring denser, cold air to the Carb. Making the decorative side vents actually function will be a part of the endeavor to pull air out of the engine compartment.

An odd thing about CFX29 (my car) - all the dated engine parts and transmission were from 1967, just late enough to have been 1968 model year parts. Yet my car 'left the factory' in 1969 and was shipped to Montreal, Canada (subsequently shipped to the USA as a 1970 Ford).  Was it fabricated in England earlier, then held up by the Strikes in Italy? Or were the engine and transmission ordered in 1967, then held in stock? Might it have been for another purpose (an AC 428 big block?). The block is a "Police Interceptor" reinforced block with a scratched letter "C" - the same block used on Shelby GT 500 and "Cobra Jet" mustangs. The heads are not "cobra Jet", though the original Intake manifold could be.

We ARE having fun. It's a real benefit that parts (original and reproduction) are available a fairly plentiful. The original "Cobra" guys are still alive and still working. Excellent!

Jeffrey, Your box is not a T5, the T5 is too small and could not take the torque of the big block. It's a TKO600 with .82 fifth gear. (Road racing version)

E[:p]

J Jones

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2010, 04:34:13 »
OOPS....
   Thank you for the correction, Emmanuel.

Damien

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2010, 12:25:31 »
Dear all,

Thanks for your valuable comments.  I used a Glasurit colour (do not remember which, but could find it out).  This is very nice, as the colour evolves with the light.  with the handles, I meant the dashboard switches, but I found them.  These are Maserati ones.
   I have also placed an extraction system on the radiator to reduce the heat under the bonnet, and it seems to work.  With a big fan and an aluminium radiator, the water temperatures are at a good level, except for this expansion tank problem.
   Can anybody post a picture of this second expansion tank and the way it is connected to the cooling system.
   kind regards,
   Damien

J Jones

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 03:15:30 »
An update on engine cooling (in general).

I drove my car 40 miles at 2 PM on the hottest day ever recorded in Los Angeles (record-breaking heat: 113 degrees F), to get it to McCluskey Engineering before I had to leave town the next day. IT DID NOT OVERHEAT! Amazing!

Now both Emmanuel's car and mine are getting the overheating problem under control - just a little more tweaking to make the gills/side vents actually function plus another modification to improve engine bay airflow, and (hopefully) problem solved. I may not have to install Air Conditioning after all.

My car did not have an overflow tank, so we installed one, of larger capacity than the (MG?) unit I've seen on other 428's. Didn't lose a drop of coolant.

It's been interesting to see the reaction of extremely knowledgeable Cobra guys to the Frua. Though it should not be surprising, the fact is series III Cobras and Fruas are virtually identical - even the "mistakes" are the same. I just had my Upper control arms modified to make them adjustable - something commonly done to "original" Cobras. They are exactly the same as the "original" big block series III Cobra. It's even been suggested that some of the engines may have come from Cobras Mr Shelby had to replace with 427's. Amusing thought - and it might help explain why my car left the factory in August 1969 with an engine and transmission manufactured in 1967. Maybe.

On another thread Trevor said there will be an upcoming article about 428 in "Classic Car" (?) magazine, and that it should have a positive effect on values. It's been a mystery why the 428's have been undervalued for so long. Maybe it's just taken 40 years for word to get out.

Damien

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2011, 17:29:11 »
Hello guys,
   My CF9 is driving wonderfully now with its new engine.
   The overheating issue is completely solved : water at 75 °C and oil at max 80 °C, traffic jams or 200km/h on the highway.  No heat in the cabine.
   I still have to post some pictures.  In the meantime, one small problem.
   I cannot get the locks of the softtop closed and it I think that my locks are not correctly positioned (I do not think they are in the right angle).  Does anybody have a picture on how they should be positioned in order to have a roof that stays closed when needed ?
   Kind regards

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2011, 14:56:44 »
Hello Damien,

I am glad you solved your engine issue and that you are enjoying your car now. As far as the top latches, I can post a photo of the latches on the top ittself, unfortunately, the top is not mounted on the car at present. Be aware the system is a bit flimsy and maybe it may be prudent to keep the top open at high speed.
   The owner's manual of my 1979 Aston V8 Volante had a warning not to exceed 120mph with the top up.

Funny isnt it!

Emmanuel[:)]

J Jones

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2011, 07:59:39 »
An update:

I have re-routed my "cold air ducts" through the wheel-wells, a la the later cars.

It was probably unnecessary, as I then decided to proceed with Air Conditioning, which is now completed. The unit fit perfectly in place of the heater, and I've used the existing ducting for footwells, face-level and center vents. Brrrrr! Very effective! and I have heat if it's ever needed and defrosting.

Surpringly, when the A/C fan kicks on, the engine temp falls. Apparently the additional air forced through the radiator improves cooling, despite the heat load from the A/C evaporator.

The A/C control fits in place of the old cable operated heater control, and actually looks somewhat similar.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF9
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2011, 13:48:22 »
You need a larger main fan!, or you may need a switch to run the front manually all the time! I would also make sure the rear fan makes a good seal against the rad.

Emmanuel[:)]