Author Topic: Body and Chassis Flex  (Read 8989 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Body and Chassis Flex
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 06:09:54 »
Mike,
   Great description of sleeving the tubes. I may be embarking on a similar effort (I tip the scales at 250lbs!) and was wondering if you used any rust inhibitor/neutralizer on your "mop" other than the oil/grease mixture. Specifically, I was wondering about POR15 etc.
   Thanks,
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
Body and Chassis Flex
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 18:21:02 »
Mike,
   You didn't mention the plug welding process that is done on the length of the chassis after it is sleeved. Did you use that method?

mike harrison

• View Profile
Body and Chassis Flex
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 13:10:10 »
I didn't use any special lube preparation for the honing of the chassis tubes, just ordinary engine type oil, but feel free to experiment! After the honing operation, I cleaned out the residue and then thoroughly lubed the chassis tube using a greased mop/sponge. Don't forget to grease the sleeving tube, too. Slightly chamfer the end of each of the sleeving tubes to facilitate its passage. Chalk mark the sleeving tubes along their length so that you can determine how much has been driven in. If the sleeving op stops a bit short of the forward end of the chassis tubes, this is of little consequence (provided you've reached the area of the front spring) as you are endeavouring to strengthen the length of tube between the front and rear suspension mounts.
   When you've driven the sleeving tube in as far as you can, simply cut off the remainder protruding from the chassis tubes and weld a new cap over each rear end.

mike harrison

• View Profile
Body and Chassis Flex
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 13:16:53 »
To reply to the second query, I didn't secure/weld the sleeving tube to the chassis tube - believe me it is not necessary! However, the two could be welded together here and there along the length if it was thought desirable

pls01

• View Profile
Body and Chassis Flex
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 14:58:06 »
Mike,
   Thanks for all the information on sleeving the chassis.  Great tips on honing, swabbing and lubricating to get these close fitting tubes assembled.  Making the sleeve tube 3' longer is also a great tip, saves a lot of effort under the car.  Just watch swinging that sledge hammer around the back of the body.

Putting some jacks near the center of the frame tubes may take some bend out and help fitting.  Also making sure the sleeve tube is straight.
   Thanks
   Peter