Author Topic: removing cylinder liners?  (Read 11028 times)

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
removing cylinder liners?
« on: November 01, 2007, 20:13:11 »
Hello, firstly I'm a relative novice to engine mechanics though have just started work stripping a 2 litre saloon engine.
    I have removed pistons 1 through 5 out the bottom of the engine and am now presented with a problem for piston 6. It's route out the bottom is blocked (by the alternator?) so after some research I learned that removal out the top was possible after cylinder liner removal.
    The brief instructions (from the 2 litre engine project website) however suggest that liners can be lifted in pairs using two screwdrivers under the lip.
    Firstly I don't understand why it suggests 'in pairs' are they attached together in some way? and this lip under which to place the screwdrivers doesn't seem to exist!
    It seems the head gasket was glued or sealed with some sort of red resin?[:0] The liners just won't budge. I've tried mallet and piece of wood from underneath. [:I]
    I've tried filling the coolant void of the block with hot water and have been soaking penetrating oil into the top but there doesn't seem to be much of a gap to absorb the lubricant.
    Really I need to understand which part exactly is going to come out the thickness of this liner and the position of this lip where the screwdrivers should be placed.
    I am assuming these are 'dry liners' is this the case?

The other problem I have is the block is about 1/3 full of bluey green crystals mixed with what looks very like scale.
    I've collected some of this stuff and tried dissolving in both water and vinegar to no avail.

There seems also to be some corrosion of the engine block top surface possibly due to leaking coolant? If the head bolts/studs are removed can/should this be skimmed cos' the way i see it the liners will protrude too far unless adapted also?
    Any help much appreciated.
   Keith.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 21:07:04 »
Keith
   A few points, if you go to the members section & log onto the model directory you will find under the AC Engine several articles one of which deals with the difficult job of removing stubbern liners.
   The liners are wet liners & are in pairs as the share a figure of eight gasket at  the bottom & sometimes people use lot's of sealer to stop leakage due to corrosion!
   Take great care removing the studs they neck down at the junction of the block & head & become weak, if they break it is expensive to correct!
   The block top needs to have a continuous unbroken surface all round & circleing the studs to enable a water seal, anything you machine off the block top will cause the pistons to be higher relative to the head which could effect the valve to liner clearance & afford a higher compression ratio! The original liner height is 3&15/16'' & the depth to the liner seats is 4'' so you could use a thinner figure of eight gasket to compensate.
   You might need some experienced assistance but you certainly will need to strip the engine fully to do a proper job.
   Read the literature & talk to some engine re-build experts & take care!

regards

Robin

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 09:11:56 »
Thanks for that Robin, I had looked under the models section and clicked on the photo but I am not yet an ACOC member so access to all the info is not possible.
    The cheque and form are in the post so I'll continue work sometime next week.
    Frustrating though to have a weekend and not be making progress.
   Do you know the approximate price for a set of liners and do you know anyone whos had the original con rods adapted to fit shell bearings, this was my original intention as my grandad had 9:1 pistons fitted in the 70's(?) didn't upgrade big end bearings and then drove around west london like toad of toad hall for 20years.
   The white metal is cracked and delaminated from the con rod
    The car's got 15,000 on the clock so will be a true 115,000 miles.

Cheers.

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 16:01:21 »
Well one of the liners is out at least now i understand thier shape and where the seizing is! will leave the wd40 on bottom of liners overnight and use the t shaped peice of wood and mallet again in the morning.
    thanks agin for your repl.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 18:07:28 »
Keith
   A set of liners & pistons to suit are £900 plus Vat, if you would like to discuss your Rod conversion with some AC Engine re-build experts have a chat to Brian Taylor or Jon Sichel the contact details for both are on my web site ' www.ac-engine.com ' There are some issues in doing this which is too much axial clearance in the journals which allows the rods to float & oil retention is significantly less due to this large clearance, you will also find that the small end also floats in the same direction so there is less position control of the rod relative to the cylinder & crankshaft!

Regards

Robin

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:12:17 »
Cheers Robin, I've just realised you're the same Robin Woolmer I contacted by email.
    Thanks for the info on the shells, I'll keep you informed of my progress, and will contact the guys you mention when I'm ready to start the constructive stage of the process.
    Two liners are out and numbered now i.e. nos 3 and 4 so I'll be checking the wear this week.
    What projects have you got on at the moment?