Author Topic: Adjustable steering column problem  (Read 2208 times)

Norman

• View Profile
Adjustable steering column problem
« on: June 06, 2018, 00:23:17 »
Has anyone else experienced problems with the Bluemels adjustable steering column on the Ace? For years the steering column had gradually moved towards my chest and periodically I slackened the bakelite clamping knob, moved it back and tightened the knob again. Recently, the bakelite adjusting wheel jammed, such that even the strongest wrists couldn't shift it, so the column was advancing relentlessly towards me and I could do nothing about it. Last time I mentioned this, another member was kind enough to send me a drawing of the mechanism and on the strength of that I finally plucked up the courage to dismantle mine today. Not wanting to apply any kind of wrench to the bakelite, which was sure to shatter, I instead removed the horn/indicator mechanism (easy) and used a puller to take off the boss from the column.

I was expecting to find corrosion, or a picked-up thread, or grit, or worn splines, but to my amazement everything looks as good as the day it was made and all the screw threads worked smoothly. I am mystified. Why did it jam? All I can do is clean it, lubricate it, reassemble it and keep my fingers crossed. Can someone explain?

Jim A

• View Profile
Re: Adjustable steering column problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 17:29:53 »
I think the gradual approach of the steering wheel to the driver's chest must be universal.  I must have pushed it back in, somewhat automatically, thousands of times in the thirty years I had my Ace.
That operation, along with your gentle cleaning and lubing, is probably the best, if not the only, fix.

Norman

• View Profile
Re: Adjustable steering column problem
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 23:01:17 »
Nice to know my moving steering column is not unique to my car. As a postscript, I looked again at the mechanism, very carefully, and found a tiny burr on one of the conical segments that engages with the taper on the bakelite nut. This could have had the effect of greatly reducing the contact area, and hence the grip, and also (at a stretch of the imagination) jamming the mechanism. I gently stoned it away and dressed the other segments for good measure. Now it is reassembled and everything works. Whether it will continue to attempt to spear my chest remains to be seen.