Author Topic: AC "LeMans" Coupé BPH 4B Discussion/Information  (Read 13605 times)

cmaddox3

• View Profile
AC "LeMans" Coupé BPH 4B Discussion/Information
« on: October 27, 2007, 05:30:45 »
This thread is for discussion/information on:

The AC "LeMans" Coupé... BPH 4B

Anyone have any information [especially current disposition] on this beauty?

--  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 19:24:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3

This thread is for discussion/information on:

The AC "LeMans" Coupé... BPH 4B

Anyone have any information [especially current disposition] on this beauty?

--  Chuck

Just found this story on the AC LeMan's Coupe...

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=11841

Apparently it was wrecked when a rear tire [whoops tyre] blew and was hauled back to Thames Ditton and kept under wraps for many years.  Fortunately, an enthusiast from Scotland was able to secure the wreckage and was able to restore it...

As the story and pictures are copywritten, I have concerns about archiving the story on my site, so read it while you can!

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:41:43 »
quote:
   ....Anyone have any information [especially current disposition] on this beauty?
   ....Fortunately, an enthusiast from Scotland was able to secure the wreckage and was able to restore it...Chuck

...An enthusiast* whom I note has recently registered on this forum, but has, as yet, not posted.

(*Assuming that no-one has simply registered in his name! )

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:41:36 »
Nik

"enthusiast*" - Are you suggesting there might be a replica on this forum????? I shall have to go and lie down....

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:41:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate
   Nik
    "enthusiast*" - Are you suggesting there might be a replica on this forum????? I shall have to go and lie down....

A replica of the enthusiast....I sincerely hope not!
   Of the car in question, an unequivocal YES(clicky).

Don`t forget to pull the top & side curtains when you lie down!
[:o)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 16:14:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate
   Nik

A replica of the enthusiast....I sincerely hope not!
   Of the car in question, an unequivocal YES(clicky).

Don`t forget to pull the top & side curtains when you lie down!
[:o)]

A Replica, or a Restoration [as best as can be achieved with the current and recent parts availability]?

Just curious.  I'd really love to learn more about the LeMan's coupé.  For in my opinion it's a VERY beautiful car, and in fact, I prefer it's styling to the Daytona Coupe.

Wouldn't it be great to have a head to head test of a Daytona Vs. LeMans Coupe?

[wiggles eyebrows]

--   Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 07:26:23 »
quote:
   A Replica, or a Restoration [as best as can be achieved with the current and recent parts availability]?

Just curious.  I'd really love to learn more about the LeMan's coupé.  For in my opinion it's a VERY beautiful car, and in fact, I prefer it's styling to the Daytona Coupe.

Wouldn't it be great to have a head to head test of a Daytona Vs. LeMans Coupe?
   [wiggles eyebrows]
   -   Chuck

The above car at Brooklands is VERY definitely NOT a restoration, being built from scratch.
   I`m pretty certain that BPH 4B was completely restored by around 1981 and has attended several ACOC events, plus the 2001 Le Mans Classic Cavalcade(below).

As for the Daytona vs. AC Coupé head to head, one took place in France in 1964....[;)]

I believe that the AC Coupé was on pace with the Daytona until it crashed on lap 78.
   *If we compare the average speeds from the 4th place Daytona from 1964 to the 7th place roadster with hardtop(39PH) from 1963, there was only 8 mph between them, so if the AC Coupé had around 16mph higher top speed than 39PH on the Mulsanne, I`d assume that gap would be much reduced.

*It`s early, and my maths ain`t the best....hope these figures are OK!)

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:11:07 »
Nik - A98 the Le Mans versions reconstruction is well documented  - Our project is a scaled up to a coil sprung Ac chassis  - modern Ap vented brakes - lightweight callipers- transmission -6 speed tremec - Rousche (ford gt ) motor - Basically a modernday Ac GT with hints of the 1964 lemans car - There is another version planned as original spec for another client .

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 10:41:41 »
Thanks for the info, Steve.
   I can`t believe it`s taken this long for someone to actually copy A98, as I`ve always thought it better looking than the Daytonas, I`ll bet the owners can`t wait!!!

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 17:22:53 »
GREAT information everyone,  I'm so pleased that BPH 4B is back on it's wheels and roadable again.

I agree with Nik, that as beautiful as the Daytona Coupe is, I've always preferred the lesser known and I feel more elegantly styled LeMan's coupe.

Cheers!

--  Chuck