Author Topic: Looking for advise for tyres sizes on new rims for a MKIV  (Read 4487 times)

cobra06FR

• View Profile
Hi All,
I am tempted to change my 16inch original rims on my AC Autokraft MKIV by Halibrand replica 15 inch ones made by VintagewheelsUS.
This is mainly because there is not a lot of 16inch tyres; I currently have Toyos that are magic on dry but tricky - to say the least - on heavy rain as we do have in the south of France ... when it rains.
My intention is thus to have a set of 15inch equiped with Avon tyres  - excellent on wet roads  and keep the 15 inch one with Toyos for dry conditions.

My question is : has anyone equiped his MKIV with Avon tyres on 15 inch rims ? if yes any advise on what size of Avon tyres to put on these new rims: front rim is 15 X 7.5 back space 2,5 in.   Back rim is 15 X 9,5 backspace 3,5 in.

Many thanks in advance for your advices.
Cheers
Laurent

Many thanks
Best Regards
L

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Re: Looking for advise for tyres sizes on new rims for a MKIV
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 20:52:06 »
Laurent,
If you make a "Search" for "15 inch wheels"  or "Avon" in the Mk IV  Forum, you will find what you look for.
Constant

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:03:33 »
Many thanks Constant.

which one did you finally bought ?  and which tyres did you fit on them ?
Can I also check if your car has the pipe under the body or on the side ?  it is important for the fit of the wheels/tyre as the "under" pipe version has the pipe run under the body -near the tyre.
Many thanks for your answers
L
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 21:47:54 »
Dear All,

Has anyone fitted 15 X 9.5 inch rims on the back of anMKIV ?
The original wheels I have are 16 X 8 inch wide; I wonder if I can fit 15X9.5 ones without being wider than the car body ?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 23:53:26 »
Most fitments are 15x9.5" at rear and 15x7.5" at front.
I have Trigo wheels.

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:48 »
Thanks flyinghorse for your feedback. Can you comment on the fact that  it looks like the 9,5'' mount would actually make the rim stick out of the car body by  a bit more than an inch (that's what I can calculate from the drawings I have from "vintagewheels)

do you see  tyre stick out in your case ?
can you comment on what is the With of your Trigo wheel  abd what is the backspace & negative offset of your 9,5'' rear rim ?

Many thanks for your help.
Best Regards
Laurent
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 00:34:12 »
Laurent--you would do well to heed Constants advise on the range of wheels available--use the forum search function as its all there.
My rear 9.5" Trigos dont stick out  (have a 3.65" back space), and I dont believe the  Gerry Hawkridge supplied 15" do either (He had apparently sold out --best check with him or Redline if they are back in stock) on my car/others who have these from photos I have seen.
I have attached images of my rear Trigo 15" 9.5" rear fit up and also my car with Hawkridge 15" wheels  in the two images:

My data will likely do you no good as I have a CRS MKiv and it has AP 4 pot calipers on the front that are big brutes and thats where I have backspace issues with the front Trigo (2.75" backspace marginally to much -foul caliper) -likely irrelevant on your car due to different front calipers. I also cant guarantee all axle dimensions are the same, though they ought to be.
For what its worth the Trigo website has the backspace info:
http://www.trigowheels.com/427_6.html

Trigo's 427 Cobra 6-Pin Wheel
TRIGO's 6-pin aluminum 427 wheels are intended for original or replica Cobras -Available in stock Cobra sizes:
Front, 7 1/2" x 15, 2.750 backspace | Rear, 9 1/2" x 15, 3.650 backspace

Also --if  you stick out to far due to reduced backspace  are you sure there will be any space left to fully fit the spinners (I am assuming you wont use the 16" hex nuts)?

Some cars also need the steering arms bent to accommodate the fronts.

Re the 16" original wheels--many of us here in the UK run with Kuhmo Ecsta tyres that are very good in the wet and dry so a quick fix is to ditch the Toyos and fit the Kumhos which are also relative (to Avons Cr6zz) cheap while you mull over a 15" conversion--better still find someone in France who will let you try their wheels.

Bon Chance
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 00:55:14 by Flyinghorse »

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 00:50:11 »
Looking at vintage wheels site you likely need these (6 pin) Autokraft type:

http://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_74&products_id=588

The backspace is 3.5" on rear and 2.5" on front  so not that far off from Trigo.  They also claim that the fronts smaller 2.5" offset means the Tierods wont foul  (ie not need to be bent)

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 12:18:07 »
Laurent,

The wheels I fitted to my MK IV have the following dimensions:
Front, Pirelli 235/50 VR15, with Trigo7,5"
Rear, Avon 275/65VR15, with Trigo 9,5"

Backspace details for the Trigos were given by Graham in the comments before. 

Next time I will change to the Avon Turbospeed CR27 255/65 R15 106V because of the better wet handling. They have the same tire rolling circumference as the 16" 255 rears and you don't need to adjust the speedometer setup.

Check my comments on the following page:

https://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1787.msg27056#msg27056

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 21:06:15 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!