Author Topic: Trading Post: Looking for.../Looking to sell...  (Read 24364 times)

cmaddox3

• View Profile
Trading Post: Looking for.../Looking to sell...
« on: October 13, 2007, 22:52:41 »
Hello Gents!

I was looking at some old pictures of Olé UPG 428F just now and I saw [again] something that has bothered me for as long as my family has owned eld CF7:

If you look at an old photo [like the one above] from one of the Motoring magazine tests you'll notice that in the center of the nose there is an AC Badge...

However:

I know that CF 7 arrived in the US minus the center nose badge.  [ It also appears that the driving/fog lamps have been relocated outboard of their earlier position on the front bumper -- Perhaps for better airflow?]

It appears that CF 7 once had a badge [as per reviews of CF 7]...  while I'm normally not one for adding "Chrome" to a car, especially a design like Mr. Frua's, which doesn't need it, I would really like to know more about the center badge with the idea of having the option of restoring the car to it's original factory appearance.

Is it a "Vented" badge, or is it simply ornamentation?

Is it possible to source one of these badges and how would I go about doing so?

Also, what is everyone's opinion about adding/restoring something like this to CF 7?  Is it a bad idea [value or sans-restoration wise], would it be a good idea [in particular if it's a small hidden vent]?  Etc.  I know that CF 7 being an early example, lacks some of the elements added to later examples [the P.Frua badges by the front quarter panel vents, and the AC vents behind the fuel fillers, but it appears to me that CF 7 was originally equipped with the center nose badge...

It also occurs to me that my dad managed to biff up CF 7's right front bumper back in the late 1970's [it's why it appears a bit wavy or less than straight in the color photo above]...  I'd like to swap it out if possible if the part is available and price is reasonable/

Does anyone know if it's possible to source front bumper's for the 428?

Lastly, while I am pretty sure I have a complete brand new set of Avon's for the AC which my Dad managed to procure back in the day, I know for a fact that one of the Lucas [I believe] Fog/Driving lamps shattered and has no glass in it and is hence probably non-operational.

Does anyone have ideas for sourcing such lamps [preferably in the US but Britain would be fine too]?

At some point soon, I hope to find someone to assist me with the "reawakening" of CF 7 and I'm starting to think about getting some pieces and parts lined up that I'd like to have be part of the rejuvenation...

Thank you everyone for reading and thank you in advance if you have any insights to share.  I don't know when I'll be able to move forward with "re-firing" plans, but Every little bit helps!

Cheers!

Chuck

P.S. Sorry for the long post, thanks for following along this far, but it's been awfully quiet in here lately.  Perhaps this thread can become a quasi-permenent "Trading Post" area?  Just a thought!

P.P.S. Perhaps another idea for a thread would be sources for parts for these cars...  Where can one find replacement turn and tail lamps, etc...?  What do you think?  --   Chuck

cliffordl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 18:13:05 »
Chuck have a look at my post from a while ago alternatively look here for the badge; http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb29/clifford_039/?action=viewÂ

cliffordl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 13:51:13 »
Have a look at this for the replacement light..

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayProduct.asp?pCode=LR8/C

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 14:31:27 »
Try ' www.s-v-c.co.uk ' for Lucas driving/fog lights lower cost than Holden!

Robin

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:36:44 »
Thank you both Clifford and Robin.  I'll be investigating both sites you submitted soon.  Might not be a bad idea to have spares.

BTW, what's the forum's concencus...  Fogs or Driving lamps [or both]?

[I might be persuaded to install both for the Rallye look, but, it might detract fromt the classic lines...  Hmmm....  Overheating is an issue too.  Probably just stick with one or the other.  I'm thinking driving as we shouldn't be driving such rare cars in fog!

--  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:18:32 »
Talking of driving/ fog lamps and overheating I've always wondered how the owner of ELH 185 J ever got anywhere !! [:0]

Query number 9). on the register.

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 21:56:48 »
Chuck, I agree with Clifford as to the badge, and as for the lamps, these were of course fashionable addenda on all kinds of GT and sports cars of the 'sixties/seventies period, personally, I would say aesthetically the car is not improved by them, but.. as CF 7 is a historically significant factory demonstrator, I would fit a new set of that type (available in the U.K. as mentioned) and go for driving lamps; jmho!

The bumpers, others on here better qualified than I may suggest a source.

Paul.[:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 17:39:11 »
Is this the correct type of badge?

It`s on eBay(click on pic), but has only a few hours left to run, finishing at 8:10pm tonight(UK time!).

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 22:54:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Is this the correct type of badge?

It`s on eBay(click on pic), but has only a few hours left to run, finishing at 8:10pm tonight(UK time!).

Hi Nik,

Unfortunately, that isn't what I think it is.  I wouldn't minded getting that one, but unfortunately, by the time I visited the forum, the auction had closed.  I'll keep a sharper eye out though!

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 23:08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3
   Hi Nik,
   Unfortunately, that isn't what I think it is.  I wouldn't minded getting that one, but unfortunately, by the time I visited the forum, the auction had closed.  I'll keep a sharper eye out though!
   --  Chuck

Don`t say I never do anything for you! Click the pic!

2 days to go on this one, it appears to be original, not a repro like the other one, and the guy has another, should you miss this one!!!
   Damn, I`m good![;)] [8D]

[edit] The other one he has doesn`t look quite as good:

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 03:47:31 »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3
   Hi Nik,
   --  Chuck

2 days to go on this one, it appears to be original, not a repro like the other one, and the guy has another, should you miss this one!!!
   Damn, I`m good![;)] [8D]

[edit] The other one he has doesn`t look quite as good:

Nik,

Snipe bids posted!  I'll keep everyone posted.  I don't be believe they are the right ones, but I'd love to have them just the same.  Thanks for the shout out!

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 11:14:06 »
Good luck, Chuck. At the very least, you can fit an original, period badge until you can find one of the vented ones.
   Nik.

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 14:12:24 »
quote:

Good luck, Chuck. At the very least, you can fit an original, period badge until you can find one of the vented ones.
   Nik.

That's what I figure!  Thanks again Nik, and I would never ever even imagining saying you never've done anything for me!

=)

Tally Ho!

--  Chuck

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 16:37:01 »
quote:

Nik,

I snagged them both.  One went a little on the high side £26, the other low £3.19...  The nicer one will be reserved for the car, the lesser one will be the "test mule"...  I figure it would probably be best to paint the surround of the badge around the "AC" either black or the same color as the car.  I'll post snaps when they arrive.

Thanks again!  Owe you one!

--  Chuck