Author Topic: 39 PH in Octane..  (Read 18223 times)

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« on: September 28, 2007, 17:00:59 »
Hi all, just been informed that November's issue of 'Octane'has a feature on the legendary 39 PH which of course among its many famous exploits gave Gentleman Jack Sears 'his most satisfying race' in the 'Black Flag' Ilford Trophy at Brands, driving the Cobra on the limit for Willments, a superman indeed, I shall be invading W.H. Smith tomorrow..

Paul.[:)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 17:11:52 »
Paul,

Please forgive my ignorance...  But is 39 PH a Frua?  I'd be interested in obtaining a copy if it is, and I can't find it locally.  Would you please keep us informed on this matter?

Thank in advance!

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 18:32:47 »
Hi Chuck. 39PH was the AC Cars entry at Le Mans in 1963, where it finished 7th, then went on to be one of the most famous racing Cobras outside of America. This is the Magazine:

cmaddox3

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 20:10:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Hi Chuck. 39PH was the AC Cars entry at Le Mans in 1963, where it finished 7th, then went on to be one of the most famous racing Cobras outside of America. This is the Magazine:

Ah! Very cool, I'll be on the outlook!  Thanks for the heads-up gents!

--  Chuck

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 20:21:34 »
Chuck, this monthly 'Octane' is a nice publication with Carroll Shelby, Jay Leno and Nick Mason(Pink Floyd drummer) regular columnists,some mouthwatering classics featured and excellent photography, as Nik says 39 PH is a piece of history, a wonderful old racing 289 and the first Cobra I ever saw racing; watching the old black and white tv at my Grandmother's; I would have been about eight or nine and that Ford V-8 sound made a hell of an impression..!

Perhaps I can send a copy over to you.

nikbj68

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 10:47:08 »
I`ll bet you never saw this young driver on Grandma`s telly!

TLegate

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:47:38 »
Stop de-valuing the car Nik!! (actually Nigel did mention something about soiled nappies under the drivers seat:-)

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 17:04:05 »
A natural; even at that age! Nik, looks like you're listening for the chirrup as the rear tyres let go..

Paul.[:D]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 04:04:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by runt

Chuck, this monthly 'Octane' is a nice publication with Carroll Shelby, Jay Leno and Nick Mason(Pink Floyd drummer) regular columnists,some mouthwatering classics featured and excellent photography, as Nik says 39 PH is a piece of history, a wonderful old racing 289 and the first Cobra I ever saw racing; watching the old black and white tv at my Grandmother's; I would have been about eight or nine and that Ford V-8 sound made a hell of an impression..!

I would appreciate it Paul, if you would pick me up a spare copy.  I'll PayPal you the funds necessary to post it to me...

--  Chuck

nikbj68

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate
   Stop de-valuing the car Nik!! (actually Nigel did mention something about soiled nappies under the drivers seat:-)

They weren`t mine!!!! Standard issue passenger safety equipment, honest!

quote:
Originally posted by Runt
   Nik, looks like you're listening for the chirrup as the rear tyres let go..Paul.[:)]

Number 3 exhaust valve on the left bank sounded a bit tappetty as I recall! [;)]
   Can you believe I used to sleep in the paddock whilst my Dad was tuning up?! It wouldn`t happen now!

Dad disconnected the red button marked 'EJ' on the gearknob just after this photo was taken!

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 13:30:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3

quote:
Originally posted by runt

I would appreciate it Paul, if you would pick me up a spare copy.  I'll PayPal you the funds necessary to post it to me...

--  Chuck

No problem Chuck, and don't worry about the cost, your posts have given much pleasure!

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 13:38:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

They weren`t mine!!!! Standard issue passenger safety equipment, honest!

quote:
Originally posted by Runt
   Nik, looks like you're listening for the chirrup as the rear tyres let go..Paul.[:)]

Number 3 exhaust valve on the left bank sounded a bit tappetty as I recall! [;)]
   Can you believe I used to sleep in the paddock whilst my Dad was tuning up?! It wouldn`t happen now!

Dad disconnected the red button marked 'EJ' on the gearknob just after this photo was taken!

Good stuff,it's great to see these shots of the car through the years; I wonder how many times it has been re painted for instance, didn't realise the chassis had been changed, looks like the valve covers are recent, how did the 'Hawk' recreation come about, did Gerry Hawkridge approach the then owner?

cmaddox3

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 04:46:11 »
Paul!

I received the copy of Octane you sent me today. _T_H_A_N_K_S_!_!_!_  I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it's on the top of the pile.

Thanks again and let me know if there is anything I can do to repay you!

--  Chuck

runt

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 20:53:57 »
Hi Chuck, that's cool, and knowing it brings pleasure will be payment enough! That car is of course a legend, and a faithful ambassador for AC in the early sixties, really fired my imagination as a youngster, good to know it is in the rudest of good health!

nikbj68

• View Profile
39 PH in Octane..
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 07:36:10 »
It would appear that there is no imminent competition schedule, as the rollbar is not currently fitted.
   I think the comment "...Point to point, nothing in period could keep up with it..." Could be extended to 'very little, even by today`s standards'.