Author Topic: AEX 674  (Read 4737 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AEX 674
« on: September 27, 2007, 21:33:16 »
Who can provide me with some info on my Aceca AEX 674?
   I learned the car was an export to Canada and from there went to the USA, but I have no other details. No ownership and usage details. Am I correct in understanding that all cars after 1956 were delivered with front discs? Mine is titled 1959, but it came with front drums. Also My SU carbs are unusual and the manifolds have been ported. The car came originally with 16 inch wheels and had original michelins as well as Dunlop racing tyres on it. I read some detailed info on one of the other posts, I wonder if the registrar has some of the factory delivery date and export data to share? If anyone knows any history on this car, please help. Also, I learned recently there is an avid Ac collector in Maine. Supposedly owns a dozen of them. Does anyone know who this is and whether my car past through his ownership at some point in time?

Thank you for any and all info you can supply.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 00:34:45 »
Just trying to get some attention to my questions. Does anyone have anything to share regarding the questions I posted?

thanks,

Gus

pjbowman

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:32:53 »
Gus - discs were an option, but not standard. Interestingly, I am in the process of buying AEX672, which has spent its life in Canada, and I am now bringing  ito the US.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:16 »
Gus

Reference AEX674

I thought I sent you half a dozen pics of your Aceca AEX674 last year, also a copy  of old advert  with your Aceca  4 Sale at $1200 or $12000 US Dollars,(If only you could find Ace Bristols or 289s at those prices now, I would order 2 ACres of Black ones...... maybe share one with John Norris as he has preference for Black Cobras) I digress,  Unfortuneatly cannot confirm as I had my lap top slolen from my car last year.Hence I no longer have your email address

However, Please confirm your email address to me on  Keithdotlessiter@faacdotcodot uk  and I will email you old pics which were taken long before your purchase.

Whilst trying to ascertain early race history of my Ace BEX333, can any one in USA confirm if Jonnie Parsons the famous Indy and midget driver of the 50s could have been the origonal owner of BEX333. Which was imported into Seattle by AC Agents " Imported Motor Cars" Tacoma Washington for a Mr J H Parsons of 300 Lakeside South Seattle9 in August 1957. ( White Ace red interior, then repainted red between 57 and 64,  by which time it needed TLC and another body and paint job.)

Reg number / License plate number ARZ913,  engine rebuilt in 64/65 by Al Doyan of Europa Imported Services Bellevue Washingtom, who also raced a Ace in thge late 50s early 60s,   Any Information would be gratefully received.

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:38:32 »
Keith,
   While I cannot say for sure on JH Parson being or not being the same as Johnny Parsons of racing fame, I looked up the racing Jonny Parsons biography on line and I do not think he resided in Seattle. The bios said he was born in Van Nuys, California and then moved to Wisconsin (or maybe Indianna as was said in a different bio), but I could not find any reference to him residing in Seattle.
   Jay

GaryC

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:35:13 »
Gus...I'd like to ask you a few questions about your restoration.  Could you email me at gkc"at"roadrunner"dot"com??  Jay (and others) my car AEX595 was apparently first purchased by a Richard W. Boddy of Calif.  There is also a W. Boddy who has numerous books out on British racing cars, etc.  Could this be the same gent??

aex125

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:59:39 »
Gary,
   Sorry but I don't think I can be of much help on W.Boddy as I do not have much info to go on. Do you have a way to get a first name on him? If so that would allow you to search on line for him and see if he ever lived in California and then go from there.
   Good Luck,
   Jay

GaryC

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:31 »
Well, this could be a genuine thread hijacking. Jay, I dug a little deeper.  It's William Boddy and he is apparently "Mr. Brooklands"  with three volumes on the history of the Brooklands track and numerous other books written on motor racing from the 40's thru the '80's.  A google search is thick with sites but no biography.  Below is an excerpt from one as a short bio for a Brooklands book. Gary

William Boddy
   William Boddy Is Professor In The Department Of Communication Studies At Baruch College And Co-Ordinator Of The Film Studies Program At The Graduate Center, Both Of The City University Of New York.<Br>

Classicus

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:49 »
quote:
Originally posted by GaryC

There is also a W. Boddy who has numerous books out on British racing cars, etc.  Could this be the same gent??

If it's any help there is/ was (?) an English William Boddy who was editor of the UK magazine "Motor Sport" for many, many years....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/06/02/brooklands/nosplit/mfbrboddy.xml

Paul

GaryC

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 02:05:54 »
Thanks!  Great info but it doesn't look like the Richard W. Boddy who first owned my car in Calif.  GC

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 23:19:31 »
Hi Gus

Thank you 4 email, have replied, 5 pics of AEX674 in a very sorry state in need of more than TLC,  also emailed copy of Winter 96/97 AC Exchange where your Aceca AEX 674  was advertised 4 Sale at £12500.

Attached a random selection of BEX333 in ACtion during past few years.

Would have put one or two on the forum but my computor skills are not up to standard yet,  As my Sons Barry and Craig once said,  you've come into the 21st Century but missed the 20th,  Such a way with words.  Mind you they enjoy the Ace as much as me.

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 22:05:19 »
Keith,

Thanks for your help, got the photos. Also was able to communicate with John Lewis whom told me what date the car was produced, what colors and where it was shipped to. Little by little I am getting more pieces of the puzzle. When I was at the Carolina Trophy last September, someone referred to a collector in Maine, USA who apparently had a lot of Ac cars. Interestingly my car came out of Maine. Is anyone aware of who this collector may be?

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 23:29:22 »
Gus

There are a few ACOC club members in USA with collections of ACs ranging from a mere 3 to 17. ( oh to have such a choice )

Best email Jim feldman, whom should hopefully point you in the right direction.

e mail:   jim at jwfrestoration dot com

tel no in ACtion.

Based in Portland,  OR 97225

Copies of AC Exchange (Winter 96) in post along with a couple of CDs

Glad John Lewis was of Help...re AEX674..... What data response did you get from AC Cars Malta ( John Owen ) ??????

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AEX 674
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 21:16:32 »
Keith,

I've got all of the stuff you sent over. Thanks so much. That was extraordinarily kind of you.

Gus