Author Topic: MA 200, AC 428 & Maserati Mistrale Spyder.  (Read 39922 times)

ACOCArch

• View Profile
MA 200, AC 428 & Maserati Mistrale Spyder.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 03:48:08 »
It would be very interesting to see a hard copy of the MA200 styling sketch, and indeed to see if it had any AC Drawing Office markings,  a date or signature.

With so little hard material available it is difficult to determine precise time-lines. Dealing firstly with MA200, one account puts completion much earlier in 1963, with the car accumulating a substantial mileage on trade plates. Circumstantially, and no more than that, this account is consistent with Jeremy Davidsons statement that the car originally had a 260 Ford V8 - the engine recorded in November 1963 and on the chassis plate is a 289 - and also by the style of the Factory Ledger entry, which notes purchase tax having been paid. This would usually only be recorded when a car was registered after some road use.

Regarding the connections with Frua, and with the Maserati Mistrale, the few accounts I have seen all suggest the following time line:

a.   Special bodied Maserati Coupe by Frua - displayed at 1963 Turin Show
   b.   Derek Hurlock introduced to Frua by Hubert Patthey - early 1965
   c.   Preliminary design sketch to AC - followed quickly
   d.   First AC chassis to Turin - May 1965
   e.   First car (an aluminium bodied convertible then called the AC427) at November 1965 London Show.

John McLellan also records that, according to Derek Hurlock, there were no body panel design drawings for the AC428 at Frua, just the body bucks. Given the speed at which they produced the AC styling sketches and the first car, that does make one ask whether Frua utilised the Mistrale items in some way for the AC428.

Whilst one cannot on this basis entirely dismiss the possibility of an AC influence on the Mistrale design, it does in my view look pretty unlikely.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 12:24:32 »
Unfortunately I don't have any contact details for Mark for the hard copy, but there's still this original link below in the same thread to Mark's photobucket site which has some more interesting pics and info.

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n20/markgold/?start=0

Perhaps Andy might be able to shed some further light on the 3 Frua drawing stages below as you can just make out his name at the bottom of the first and last picture ?

That's all the details and info I have so hope this is some help.

Good luck ! [:)]

MA 200

Dis 729, 730 and 731.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 13:39:38 »
The drawing in Dis730 is presumably an early design sketch provided by Frua soon after their first meeting with Derek Hurlock in 1965. This drawing was subsequently used by AC Cars in their first adverts for the AC 427 in October 1965. This advert is reproduced in full on page 282 of the new Brooklands Books 'AC Cars 1904 to 2009', a review for which is due to be published in the May 2010 ACtion.

When read carefully, this advert also says much about the relationship between AC Cars and Shelby American, and use of the name Cobra, at that time.

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 04:18:25 »
MA 200 wins Best of Class at Amelia Island Concours 2010

Hi all! I know it's beena while, but after a painstaking nearly 3 year restoration, MA 200 is getting accolades evrywhere she's seen!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/chassisNum.aspx?carID=18244&iDNumID=9877

She is absolute blast to drive with power always on tap. handling is precise and as good as most modern sports cars. hard to believe she is nearly 50!  but the most fun is everyone saying Whats that?

I'd like to thank eveyone who helped track down answers and documentation over the past years with special thanks to Trevor Legate and Rinsey Mills.

With warmest regrds,

Mark Gold

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 14:52:15 »
Cheers Mark - and thanks for all the photos!!!!!!  Happy Motoring