Author Topic: MA 200, AC 428 & Maserati Mistrale Spyder.  (Read 40160 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
MA 200, AC 428 & Maserati Mistrale Spyder.
« on: September 17, 2007, 19:00:58 »
Referring to the latest interesting posting and intriguing picture of MA 200 the AC V8 prototype in "AC Librarian/Historian" (top pic below) over on the "General Forum"....

As MA 200 (as a convertible) was apparently up and running in 1963 whilst the Mistrale Coupe was first shown in November 1963 and the Spyder introduced in the Spring of 1964, each already starting to get quite close to the outline of the 428, it's starting to make me wonder who might have thought of the final 428 design itself first ? Derek Hurlock or Pietro Frua  ? Either way I think it's a fascinating backdrop and comparison with all 3 cars !! [8D]

The Maserati Mistrale coupe....

"....originally named the 'Due Posti', was first shown in a preview at the Salone Internazionale dell'Automobile di Torino in November 1963."

"....for delivery Maserati's anxious customers had to wait until the spring of 1964 when the Spyder version was introduced at the Salone di Ginevra. Again the work of Frua who with great skill succeeded in retaining the splendid lines of the coupé by replacing the large windowed 'hatchback' with a classically styled conventional boot lid, the hood being hinged immediately behind the front passengers."

Reference:
   http://www.maserati-indy.co.uk/alfieri56.htm

AC MA 200

AC 428

Maserati Mistrale Spyder

AC 428

Maserati Mistrale Spyder picture and details :

http://www.thecarnut.com/Mistralspyder68.html
   http://www.thecarnut.com/Mistralspyder68/IMG_0904.JPG

AC MA 200

Maserati Mistrale Spyder

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 03:44:02 »
Everyone thinks MA 200 was done by Frua, and all are surprised to see it was done in house by AC!  I have drawings back to August 1962... maybe we have the first stolen plans scandal ala Mcclaren/Ferrari!

ps, classico, how'd you post those pics?

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 13:41:44 »
quote:
Everyone thinks MA 200 was done by Frua, and all are surprised to see it was done in house by AC! I have drawings back to August 1962... maybe we have the first stolen plans scandal ala Mcclaren/Ferrari !

Hi Mark

Interesting people thinking MA 200 was designed by Frua as ever since I spoke to Jeremy and saw it for the first time at Goodwood parked amongst all the other AC's, I'd always assumed that it had been the prototype for the 428 anyway. I certainly didn't come away from the Sprint with the impression that it wasn't so I think it's quite fair to say that all possible influences on the design origins of the 428 still remain to be discovered. Naturally it would be very nice indeed to learn at the end that the 428 definitely began its life at Thames Ditton and not elsewhere !

Any idea who penned the drawings in 1962 as it would therefore be interesting to learn if there are any other photos and drawings of his or their work in the Forties/ Fifties and so on? Whether perhaps he/ they had had other work displayed at international  exhibitions ? And it's because of all these unknowns that I've always wished there'd been a book devoted solely to the 428 with all its history in the same way as the Cobra.  Perhaps with all your accumulating and very detailed useful material plus the actual car itself it might still be a possibility one day ?

Look forward to seeing how the restoration goes so hope you can follow the below ok.

Cass (Paul actually but there's another Paul too so Cass is easier [:)])

Pic 1.

When in Photobucket, after first clicking on "Edit" on the top line above the pic, if you then click on "resize" on the top line as above in Pic 1. you can choose the size of pic you want to appear. However the size you've already chosen 800 x 522 is already a good one for the Forum, but if you decide to go any smaller you're then stuck with that size as it won't enlarge again. Which means you then have to upload it once more from your hard drive.

Pic 2.

In your original message you posted across the coding in the top box above "Share URL", instead of the one in the bottom box "IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards", IMG standing for Image.

It's also important to remember you must always copy all of the coding exactly as it appears in Photobucket's bottom box before posting it into the Forum's message box. If not as in the example below only the text will appear. In this example however I've deliberately altered all the way down the first bracket around the first word IMG from [ to (  so that it can be read instead. Obviously these first incorrect brackets must first be put back before any pics will appear as the slightest alteration or mistake anywhere will always continue to show the text and nothing else. Also leaving a small space between each line does make for a better layout at the end.

Finally best to click on Preview (as many times as you need) to check and adjust the selected pics and messages are all ok etc. before posting.

AC MA 200

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/V8PrototypeMA200.jpg[/img]

AC 428

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/MA200MistraleSpyderAC428comparisons.jpg[/img]

Maserati Mistrale Spyder

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/MaseratiMistraleSpyder.jpg[/img]

AC 428

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/MA200MistraleSpyderAC428comparisons.jpg[/img]

Maserati Mistrale Spyder picture and details :

http://www.thecarnut.com/Mistralspyder68.html
   http://www.thecarnut.com/Mistralspyder68/IMG_0904.JPG

AC MA 200

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/V8PrototypeMA200.jpg[/img]

Maserati Mistrale Spyder

(IMG]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/classicus/MaseratiMistraleSpyder.jpg[/img]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:13:39 »
Bringing the two sub forums of MA 200 closer together for future reference.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 18:35:58 »
Maserati Mistral Spyder have gone up quite a bit in recent months, upward to $200Gs'. I don't have to say anymore about what it means for the Frua Spyder.

Emmanuel[:)]

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:34:12 »
she's coming along...thanks to jason and the boys at Creative Workshop,

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:12:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Maserati Mistral Spyder have gone up quite a bit in recent months, upward to $200Gs'. I don't have to say anymore about what it means for the Frua Spyder.

At the Monaco Historic Bonhams Auction this month, this Mistral (clik pic) sold for €238,500.(Euro)

Nice.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:00 »
The perfect Automobile for a Gentleman such as myself - I want that, even if it drives like a bag of old bolts....

It even looks like a bargain when you note that some comedian paid around £120,000 for a VW Schwimmwagen. World's gone mad I tell you.

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 17:01:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

At the Monaco Historic Bonhams Auction this month, this Mistral (clik pic) sold for ?238,500.(Euro)

Nice.

Thanks Nik interesting find. Is this a big jump as I've no idea what they used to be ?

Paul

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 17:57:16 »
My friends here in California sold one for @ $130K 2 to 3 years ago! It was a very nice car.

Emmanuel

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 18:43:30 »
The new Shelby world registry is out with a chapter on MA 200

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 21:20:41 »
Hi Mark

OK to put this onto the Register as well ?

Thanks

Paul

msgsobe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 23:38:39 »
Not mine to say yes or no, I've got no problem with it!

Peterw11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 20:00:21 »
Nice article, Mark and seems to add a bit more detail to the overall specification of this car.  I noticed a couple of additional pictures I've never seen before, specifically the head on shot of the front end, and the engine compartment shot.

I assume they're from your archive.  Would it be possible to post them on this thread, or your Photobucket page?  I'd love to add the front end shot to my desktop.

Speaking of pictures, I've also noticed that The Creative Workshop website adds photos of the restoration from time to time.  How's the project coming along?  Still in the bare metal stage?

Did you ever track down those Fiat taillights you were looking for?
   Have any other parts been difficult to identify?

If you do have a tough time sourcing the proprietary parts, you know where to come, right?

Peterw11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:32:04 »
Hi all:

It's been a while.

I kept checking back from time to time to see if there were any updates on Mark's restoration of MA200, but there haven't been any for some time, and least that I've seen.

However, a quick check, tonight, at the resto shop's site shows that the project is finally done.  MA200 is back on the street, and it's gorgeous.

Go to www.thecreativeworkshop.com for tons of pics from it's birth in 1963 to the finished restoration.

Nice job, Mark.  She's a beauty.