Author Topic: Alloy Wheel Refurbishment  (Read 3806 times)

twogreens

• View Profile
Alloy Wheel Refurbishment
« on: September 16, 2007, 23:23:47 »
Two of my Halibrands are looking pretty tatty these days - corrosion seems to have gotten under the lacquer.  Can anyone recommend an alloy wheel refurbishment firm (preferably in Essex)?

Regards to all
   Two Greens

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:07:24 »
Sorry, not in, or even close to Essex, but my Dad had his Mustang wheels refurbed by LAP-TAB in Birmingham, and rated them very highly. I can recommend Parcel2go as a courier, very good on price.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 14:39:02 »
Hi Two Greens,
   Have a look at the Spit and Polish website
   http://www.spitandpolish.co.uk/
   They are in Kent but provide a collect and deliver service. Thunder Road use them and are happy with their work.
   All the best - John.

twogreens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 22:27:19 »
Well, after umming and r'ing I sent two of my wheels away to a company in Herts to be diamond cut - they eventually came back and I am very disappointed.  The machining itself appears to be very good but the relacquering looks like it was done in a very dusty environment.  Can anyone recommend a way to remove wheel lacquer?

Regards
   Rick

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:50:09 »
Hi Rick,
   My neighbour's tom cat is very efficient at removing the lacquer from my wheels and I would happily send him to you (parcel post)[}:)].
   On a more helpful note, I have just had my wheels partly refinished by a local (Surrey) company. I chose to leave the painted centres untouched and had the rims mirror polished. I am pleased with the results. I chose not to have the finish re-lacquered this time on the basis that I'll see how much of a pain it is to keep them clean and bright. If it proves too impractical then I can always have them cleaned and lacquered later.
   John.

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 18:19:11 »
For alloy wheel restoration, one of the best companies in the UK is Pristine, who are located at Woburn Sands which is just outside of Milton Keynes. The are OEM refurbishers and do work for major car companies such a Mercedes and Aston Martin. The often restore the all alloy wheels some of my customers Shelby vehicles use. As to the maintenance of the alloy rims, I recently located a clear laquer specifically designed to go onto polished aluminum surfaces. I have used this on my own 15inch Halibrands and the finish is superb. The downside is that you have to key the surface prior to applying the laquer which means some sort of surface scuffing to get that key. On my own wheels this preparation was done carefully and along the rim line so with the laquer applied the effect is lovely, however you do get a more satin finish which may not be to everyones taste.

twogreens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 17:19:29 »
John, I followed your advice and had the rims refurbished by Spit & Polish when my car was in with Big Al for some work on the brakes.  Am a happy man again!

Seasons Greetings to all

Rick
   AKA Two Greens