Author Topic: AC 428 on Ebay--  (Read 11175 times)

dotnet

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« on: September 17, 2007, 20:40:35 »

I put my AC 428 on Ebay just to see what it would bring--I guess i would sell it for $85K but have had it about 10 years now and it seems like time is on my side--Also have had alot of interesting new contacts--Check it out--bid your heart out--  190152108256

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190152108256&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 17:16:09 »
This looks like a nice car, CF70 a right hand drive car.

Emmanuel

cmaddox3

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 21:09:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by dotnet

I put my AC 428 on Ebay just to see what it would bring--I guess i would sell it for $85K but have had it about 10 years now and it seems like time is on my side--Also have had alot of interesting new contacts--Check it out--bid your heart out--  190152108256

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190152108256&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009

Someday, money not an issue, a garage stall not an issue, I'd love to have a second AC 428.  My preferences would be for a Left Hand Drive Fastback, Automatic, Burgundy with tan interior, and preferably a car in good mechanical/cosmetic shape preferably stabled in a heated secure environment and in the US so I don't have to deal with importation and the [redacted] DOT / EPA / Customs personnel...

While your car wasn't a perfect match, if I had a garage space I would probably had been in the bidding anyway, it being in LA, in good shape and the idea of having CF 7 and CF 70 being very cool...  The thought of jetting out to LA with Cashiers Cheque, a couple of bags, a portable GPS system and a credit card for the gas and drive her home was a very appealing one.  Perhaps in a few years...

--  Chuck  [CF 7]

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 22:00:34 »
quote:
Perhaps in a few years....

....they might have gone through the roof   [:D]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 00:49:44 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

quote:
Perhaps in a few years....

....they might have gone through the roof   [:D]

Which is always a possibility...  Same sort of thing happened to my dad with the Cobra 427's.  Their values always seemed to be one step ahead of his ability to afford the price of admission.

A cool and great as the Cobra 427's are/were...  The AC 428 is by far the more sensible choice in my opinion.

--  Chuck

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 16:05:57 »
quote:
Same sort of thing happened to my dad with the Cobra 427's. Their values always seemed to be one step ahead of his ability to afford the price of admission.

Always been the problem with many great classics unfortunately.

However following in exactly the same footsteps as the Cobra's have done with the Mark I, II, III and IV etc., what if there was the option of a brand new and updated Mark II AC 428 available with similar specs to the original etc. ? Would you be tempted to buy that instead ? I know if it was not too expensive I'd be very sorely tempted indeed !!

On the other hand whilst as Runt said earlier it ought to be on a low volume basis with orders up front to begin with, what sort of price and what sort of market and competition it might be up against is another question altogether as I've no idea at all.... ?

cmaddox3

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 15:24:26 »
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cmaddox3 Same sort of thing happened to my dad with the Cobra 427's. Their values always seemed to be one step ahead of his ability to afford the price of admission.

Always been the problem with many great classics unfortunately.

However following in exactly the same footsteps as the Cobra's have done with the Mark I, II, III and IV etc., what if there was the option of a brand new and updated Mark II AC 428 available with similar specs to the original etc. ? Would you be tempted to buy that instead ?

It would depend upon how it was accomplished, but it is at the very least something I would consider.

quote:
Originally posted by Classicus I know if it was not too expensive I'd be very sorely tempted indeed !!

Well, at a certain point that becomes an issue...  What do I mean?  Well consider...

We know what Cobra 427's are going for, or at least we can look up current values.  Price prohibitive, right?  But that's ok [at a certain point] because there are kit's available so that one could make one for themselves.  In fact, I believe there are Turn-Key Kit Cobra's...

Another contender is a Ford/DeThomaso Pantera...  Good styling [OK, perhaps not as beautiful as the AC Frua, but still it's a good design], good mechanical parts availability, probably a better panel parts availability situation if needed, and since they made so many more of them, more are on the market in a given year.  And the prices aren't entirely unreasonable.  I don't follow them super closely, but one could probably get one for less than a AC Frua, have comparable performance [and higher top speed] and just as much fun in one.

quote:
Originally posted by Classicus On the other hand whilst as Runt said earlier it ought to be on a low volume basis with orders up front to begin with, what sort of price and what sort of market and competition it might be up against is another question altogether as I've no idea at all.... ?

I don't either, but I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to tell a Cobra 427 kit maker to "OK make a MARK IV Frame but increase it's length 6" in this spot in the frame, and ship it too me.  Then one has to figure out how to get a body over the stretched frame, and then finish the rest of it.  I'm sure it could be done, but I have no/little experience in doing that sort of thing.

--  Chuck

runt

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 20:30:12 »
quote:

[quote

On the other hand whilst as Runt said earlier it ought to be on a low volume basis with orders up front to begin with, what sort of price and what sort of market and competition it might be up against is another question altogether as I've no idea at all.... ?

You know Cass, what appeals here is that: I don't think there would be any perceived 'competition', as the 428 has such a strong following amongst those who've seen the light, so many 'kit' Cobra owners will tell you; "Just LOVED the Frua, stunning cars, shame they're out of reach.."

Paul.[:)]

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 428 on Ebay--
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 00:00:24 »
quote:
so many 'kit' Cobra owners will tell you; "Just LOVED the Frua, stunning cars, shame they're out of reach.."

Really ? I've never heard that. Is that what they say !! [:0]

quote:
Then one has to figure out how to get a body over the stretched frame, and then finish the rest of it. I'm sure it could be done, but I have no/little experience in doing that sort of thing.

The other thought I had re Chuck's point was you could perhaps show them a glimmer of light by sorting out that fibreglass body from Andy you were talking about.

"From little acorns...." Te Tum, Te Tum ! [;)]