Author Topic: 5.5x15 wire wheels from MWS  (Read 2618 times)

bex1151

• View Profile
5.5x15 wire wheels from MWS
« on: March 26, 2018, 05:47:52 »
I am thinking about replacing my 4"x16" wire wheels with 15" wheels.  MWS has 5.5x15 wires that are supposed to be for AC Ace, but I thought AC only offered 4x16 and 5x15 wheels.  I'm concerned that 5.5" rims might look/be too wide and make the tires project beyond the body line.  Anyone had any experience with the 5.5" rims?  Has anyone used the 5x15 wheels from Dayton?  Any reaction to Dayton wheels?  Both MWS and Dayton can supply wheels with the correct offset.

Aloha   Terry   

Norman

• View Profile
Re: 5.5x15 wire wheels from MWS
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 18:17:07 »
We need to talk, because I have exactly the wheels you are interested in fitted to my Ace 2.6! Wheel arch clearance is tight at the back, my car is Ok but individual bodies do vary. The wheels are shod with 70-series Avon ZZ tyres (about half worn). These are beloved by Healey drivers, for good reason, they really are excellent tyres. I am interested in changing for three reasons: firstly the combination of 70 series and 15 inch lowers the gearing, and my car does most of its miles over long distances. Second, because I have Cobra box sections at the rear the exhaust is lower than a standard Ace, so I need all the ground clearance I can get, and thirdly the lower ground clearance means I can't get the standard jack under the chassis tube at the back, though the front is OK.

For all these reasons I am thinking of returning to 16 inch wheels, though I wouldn't want your 4 inch rims. My plan was to wear out these tyres first, but I could be persuaded...