Author Topic: Water pump on a 1989 AC MKIV - need expert advices  (Read 3616 times)

cobra06FR

• View Profile
Water pump on a 1989 AC MKIV - need expert advices
« on: January 21, 2018, 18:32:22 »
Hello,
Happy New Year first to anyone who reads this post. Lots of  enjoyable AC-trips in 2018.
I started pretty well myself but a little leak has emerged.
I have some cooling liquid leakage just above  - in one of the cavity of- the water pump, vertical to the ignition distributor.
Does not seem to leak when I drive but happen when the engine has been stopped and left resting overnight.
I tried to attach a picture - if there is an attachment you will see the green liquid on the picture.

Has anyone seen that on his car before ?
Many thanks for your suggestion of what it can be due to and what to do to stop it happen.
Cheers
LaurentCobra06
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Re: Water pump on a 1989 AC MKIV - need expert advices
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 06:51:26 »
Hi,

currently, I have the same problem with exact the same symthoms. In my case the water thermostat housing must be replaced. The seal between the housing and the head is not ok anymore. The cooling water leaves over night is collected by the water pump housing and drops down to the oil pan.

Hope this helps a little bit, Peter

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:58:19 »
Many thanks Peter. If symptoms is the same, the cause is most likely to be similar.  I'll look into this
BR
Laurent
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 13:02:07 »
Hi Peter,

I was browsing through the different posts and I happen to find you trail of posts regarding your rebuilding of your MKIV started in 2007 and completed in 2009.
What a fabulous story !
As I am member of the Cobra Club de France (i.e. the French cobra club) and know quite a few of the members there, I know that some of them would be delighted to read /browse through this reconstruction story.
I was wondering if you would allow me to share your trail of explanations/story of how to rebuild an MKIV with them ?

If you were to say NO, I could perfectly understand so please feel totally free to answer honestly
With my Best Regards ... and after having enjoyed reading your story

Laurent
Many thanks
Best Regards
L

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 14:46:28 »
Hi Laurent,

please, share my thread about the MK IV restoration with your Cobra colleague. It would be nice if I can help someone with my story. Unfortunately, the pictures are stored at photobucket and they changed the policy of how to handle web hosting of pictures. Many of the pictures you cannot see but I am working to host the pictures elsewhere so in the near future everything should be fine again.

Kind regards,

Peter

cobra06FR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 19:16:38 »
Many thanks Peter I am sure they will appreciate.
BR
L
Many thanks
Best Regards
L