Author Topic: Wings & Wheels  (Read 20842 times)

Max Allan

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« on: August 28, 2007, 00:31:36 »
On behalf of all who attended the Show on Sunday I would like to extend a hearty vote of thanks to Steve and his family for doing us proud providing refreshments throughout the long hot day (yes, the weather was good [8D]). We are lucky to have in Steve someone willing to go to the time, trouble and EXPENSE of providing these niceties, and for generally being on hand to smooth things along. I, for one, appreciate his efforts.

Thanks, Steve, for a very enjoyable day.

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 21:06:21 »
Just to second all the above. (You beat me to it as I've be away from the computerizator for a few days). I should also like to extend my sincere thanks for allowing a worthless individual of ill-repute (failed rally driver) access to an expensive piece of machinery in the shape of an FIA Shelby Cobra - and not even hitting me when I brought it back on the end of a rope. Still my exhaustive research confirms that you cannot run a Cobra on fresh air alone...
   And well done for arranging the sunshine.

Wings & Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:00:32 »
Thanks to the 27 cars we had on the strip - the drag up the runway was awesome . The Golden orb was present all day - Trevor arrived as and completed his runs in our Shelby - His towing back was to reduce our carbon impact on the day [;)]. The sound of all those cars firing up to go out was fab - More days planned for the future -photos to follow , Thanks again to all who attended your support makes a great event .

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:55 »
Hi Steve,
   I want to thank you for all of your hard work at Wings and Wheels last weekend. We had a fantastic day and the whole atmosphere was great.
   For me the best bit was my last run of the day which was a good old fashioned drag race against you, we even had a chap to drop the flag and run as we smoked the tyres [:D].
   A great day - Thank you.
   John and Dee.

PS: Apparently there was an air show on at the same time.

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 22:47:14 »
Another great day Steve. Many thanks for inviting the Aceca. It ran like a dream with with 170kph showing and oodles more to go but as I was approaching red on the rev meter decided that was okay for my first outing.
   Any advise on the top end performance for a 2.6 Stage 4

Thanks again Steve

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by Max Allan

On behalf of all who attended the Show on Sunday I would like to extend a hearty vote of thanks to Steve and his family for doing us proud providing refreshments throughout the long hot day (yes, the weather was good [8D]). We are lucky to have in Steve someone willing to go to the time, trouble and EXPENSE of providing these niceties, and for generally being on hand to smooth things along. I, for one, appreciate his efforts.

Thanks, Steve, for a very enjoyable day.

hawk289

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 23:16:03 »
Ian,

I have just got my Aceca Dyno'd running a 2.6 with iron head and triple SU 1 1/2inch. We got 143BHP  (at flywheel) at 4200 RPM (could not go higher new engine), my cam is road /race, max power at 5200 so I'm looking at 160BHP+. Also I have race Healey pistons.

The car has a 4 speed CR gearbox was over 102MPH on the rolling road. So I would say my top end is around 120MPH. I think it will be down to aerodynamics at that point.

Sounds like W&W was a great day out, well done Steve, does anyone have any pictures. Anyone going to the goodwood revival.

John.

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 23:27:14 »
There was an Air Show???? Now he tells me.....

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 11:58:42 »
Hi Trevor,
   With your recent track record of running out of fuel it's probably a good job you were only driving and not piloting at the event [:D].

Regarding Goodwood, yes Dee and I will be there for the three days. On the Friday we will be dressed in Brooklands Motor Co overalls, but I don't suggest anyone asks us to work on their cars.
   John.
   Below is 302 vs 289. Photo courtesy of Steve Gray

]

a98 coupe

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:35:22 »
A big thanks to Steve (the Pied Piper of everything AC) and his family for running a great Cobra day out at Wing and Wheels.He seems to get more AC's out in one place than anyone else these days. We needed him years ago! Looking forward to the next event Steve is running. The initial plan was that he and I were intending to do some wing walking but they could not land the cargo plain.

Wings & Wheels
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 12:48:11 »
Mark it wasnt the problem with the cargo plane landing -it was getting it airborne - my request to extend the runway is being considered for next year

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 16:00:01 »
Obviously Steve ate all the pies and drank (almost) all the Grolsch.

I frequently go a long way to observe a coven of Cobras (or whatever the collective term is) but I'd go a lot further to see them in action at full blat. It looked and sounded pretty impressive from where I was and no doubt was equally impressive from the outside. Anyone got a long strip of tarmac in their back garden...?

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 17:12:48 »
The great one at work...........or should that be at play ?

Master you have so much to teach us[;)]

Another photo courtesy of Mr. A.C. Heritage.
   Of course the car would probably look better in black [^]

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 18:11:23 »
But black cars don't go any faster. I'll drive anything - no bias here.

Groping for another cog whist trying to reach the pedals is always jolly hard work - or did I just notice the fuel gauge...? However, that was the ruination of an expensive hair-do!!

Of course, Mr. Cobham, you should really paint your car white in order to save all that valuable drinking time you spend running over the bodywork with a fluffy duster. Just an observation!

aaron

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 18:46:37 »
I will try and post some photo`s

aaron

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 18:49:21 »
Originally posted by aaron

I will try and post some photo`s