Author Topic: She's Home!!  (Read 4199 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:10:06 »
I've got a bunch of photo's to upload, but man, does she look good! At least, I think so.
   Put my first miles on it. Got a few issues to deal with: leaky bottom radiator hose, sweaty copper oil passages to the remote oil filter, and carbs that need some major tuning. Oh, and spongy soft brakes, because the front circuit is ever so slightly leaking at the master cylinder.
   I guess one can't expect it to be perfect out of the box, or should I?

So hopefully we can get all these issue fixed before I take off to join the Carolina Trophy on September 9th at the Biltmore Estate.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:27:22 »
Gus
   It looks an excellent job, Ron does very good work, i do hope it fulfills your dream!

Regards

Robin

59 Aceca

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:26:25 »
Awesome Gus!  Congratulations on its completion.  I'm curious to know if the engine modifications translated into any increased performance...or have you yet to put her to the test?

Enjoy!

Greg

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 13:14:31 »
Thanks for the kind words!

I can't say there is much in the way of performance yet. Bringing the compression from 7.5:1 to 8.5:1 and porting the head should have helped.
   Not to speak of the new pistons, rods, rings, mild competition cam etc.
   There is still work to be done in tuning. the car feels flat. Theoretically it should be able to produce at least 100 HP, but right now I don't think I have 60 available!

Ron does do amazing work. The car is finished meticulously. I wanted to say thanks to Nigel Winchester, who immediately overnighted me a set of calipers when it became clear the ones he sent with his conversion kit earlier did not fit. all is well now.

Maybe someone has experience with these carbs and can offer some advice on tuning?

thanks,
   Gus

Lee

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 00:58:53 »
Just came across this site recently (shame on me), and noticed you're doing the Carolina Trophy.  I did it the first 2 years in BEX450.  Hope you had a good time - your car is gorgeous.

Lee

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 15:54:47 »
Your participation was mentioned several times to me. I had hoped to see some more AC's at the event. It turned out I was the lone ranger. But it was a great time. The venue/location was incredible.
   Maybe next year?

Gus

Lee

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 19:42:14 »
Gus, Dave Allison also participatedin an AC engined Ace last year (beautiful car) - was he there in something else this year?

We just moved back to CA from Asheville, so I doubt we'll make the trip in the future, but who knows...

Lee

Bernie

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 20:55:31 »
Gus, Where are you in Michigan. I thought I knew everyone in the state with AC's.

Bernie
   Port Huron
   BEX 494

musicman

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 21:51:44 »
hello gus, if you have not solved your power problem, perhaps you would like to e-mail me on leo.archibald@gmail.com
   i think the problem is with your valve timing,
   regards,
   Leo

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
She's Home!!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 23:40:59 »
Hey guys,

First off: I'm in Cadillac MI. So maybe we can meet up some time.

Valve timing: I've just bought a new distributor from 123. recommended by Robin Woolmer from the AC engine project. I obtained his new comp cam among other goodies and hopefully with the new distributor the timing will be impeccable. The original distributor definitely has too much wear and slop in it and the engine seems to be very sensitive to exact timing. I've got some richer needles and the engine is running better on them, but when I have the timing taken care off, next spring I will tune the car on a dyno. Des Hamill has a great book out on power tuning SU's, so it's worth a try. It will probably involve some polishing of the needles at the right intervals. I'm learning!

Thanks for your input. looking forward to meeting some AC's on the road!

Gus