Author Topic: A.C. Royal Roadster  (Read 15566 times)

elan

• View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« on: August 22, 2007, 08:37:35 »
Dear Members
   My name is Daniel and I'm from Switzerland.
   I hope someone can help me.
   I have the possibility to buy a A.C. Royal Roadster 1922.
   An old men who owned the car for many years is thinking to sell the car.
   The car is in good condition. Paint has some crack but mechanically the car is in very good. Just pass Swiss MOT view weeks ago.
   Unfortunately I have absolutely no knowledge about such a car.
   Are there any books on the marked?
   Have anyone information about how many car was produced?
   Is there a market for such cars? I have no idea about the price situation. I like the car but price must be fair.
   I hope someone can help me with information about the car.
   Thank you very much.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:40:11 »
At the last count, 41 surviving Royals were known to the club.  Original production figures for pre-1930 ACs have unfortunately not survived.  The best reference materials are John Mclellan's books 'AC and Cobra' and 'Classic ACs - Autocarrier to Cobra'.  A price range might be £8000 - £12000 depending on condition and competition for the car.  If you can post the chassis and engine numbers I can let you know whether the club has a record of the car.

elan

• View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 14:30:55 »
Hi
   Thank you for your information.
   I will visit the old man soon and I let you know more details in chassis and engine numbers.
   Maybe you found something. As I know, the car was imported from the UK 20 years ago.
   Daniel

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 14:21:03 »
A 1925 Royal sold at Bonham's at the Festival of Speed on 22 June for £7820 (Lot 358).  The Automobile reports that it was well patinated and in need of re-commissioning and minor fettling to the engine.

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=ResultsXML&iSaleNo=15342

elan

• View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 17:54:48 »
Thank you for this information.
   I have some details about this car. I found a very old registration book.
   Registration Mark: IK 5956 or 1K 5956
   Chassis No. 8960
   Engine No D8798

This is from January 1953
   I hope this helps to identify the car.
   Daniel

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:05:58 »
The car is included in the ACOC Register as an Empire, first used on 15 January 1923.  The engine and chassis numbers are as your quote and the UK registration no was IK 5956.  The differences between the Empire and the Royal were small.  The contemporary AC catalogue claims the chassis was identical, the trim used leather substitute rather than antique leather and there were minor differences in the windscreen and hood specifications.  In modern terms it seems the Empire was the 'entry' model and the Royal the 'de luxe'.

elan

• View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 11:24:40 »
Thank you very much. It is very helpful to have this information.
   I have bought the car now. I love the design, mechanics and the history. It’s a very special car.
   Have you many AC Empire in your club register? Have you any idea how many car still exist?
   The car needs just new paint. After a detailed check I will see where the car needs some work.
   Maybe I need some parts for the car, can you approve me any parts dealer from UK?
   Daniel

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 14:47:19 »
23 Empires, all dated 1921 - 24, are noted on the ACOC Vintage Register of which two are recorded as having been broken up.

The ACOC does not recommend suppliers, but two that regularly advertise with us and who may be able to help are Brian Eacott and Vintage Connections (Colin Dunn).  Colin is also the Vintage Registrar.  Check the 'Small Ads' section of this website for contact details.

Hope you have fun with the car - they are liked and respected by the owners I know - and of course (if you have not already done so), trust you will join the club!

A.C. Royal Roadster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 14:51:28 »
Anybody got a Royal for sale ? We would like to Aquire One as a runabout at Brooklands or something interesting - please contact me 01932 828545 -07860 912217 - Prefer a runner but would look at a project - regards Steve -