Author Topic: How to remove polished bulhead pressing ??  (Read 3494 times)

AC Ventura

• View Profile
How to remove polished bulhead pressing ??
« on: February 07, 2018, 19:10:53 »
Does anybody know how to remove the stainless bulkhead pressing at the back of the engine, bay without  removing the body? My engine bay is empty and I have undone the two screws underneath and the heater grommets. It flexes at the bottom, but its still held fast. It seems to be stuck under the hoop that supports the scuttle. If I just pull it will surely bend and distort, so if anybody has any further info, I'd be grateful to learn how its actually attached. If it's just glued for example, I could heat it up. Thanks.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
Re: How to remove polished bulhead pressing ??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:47:11 »
I am not sure but I think it is glued. That was a piece I didn't remove during the restoration of AK1029. Heat may be a solution but I guess it is not so easy. You have to heat it up over a quite large area and the GRP below doesn't like so much heat.

At that time I let it in AK1029 and polished it in the engine bay. Why do you want to remove it?

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:20 »
Hi DKP

I am putting in a 427 FE. I have to narrow the RH footwell 4 cm on the engine side and make it 2 cm wider on the outer side where the revised pedals are. When it is finished I want it to have the same factory appearance as before. To modify properly I have to somehow take out the bulk head pressing.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 18:53:14 »
It is rivetted between bulkhead and frame. Remove all rivets from inside the car behind the dash panel and it will come off. Did it on my car without propblems, just the outboard rivets are hidden by some sealing material.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 19:50:49 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 19:29:49 »
Thanks. I took the dash off yesterday (one of the few easy jobs) and saw the rivets. However I think they might be securing the footboxes too. I don’t have access to the big head rivets Autokraft used, but I guess could use washers when refitting.

westcott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 19:56:26 »
The rivets connect the footboxes to the frame, the stainless cover is sandwiched between. You can buy and order the bighead rivets online .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 13:50:36 by westcott »
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!