Author Topic: 1998 Ace for sale - worth it?  (Read 6467 times)

Harrier

• View Profile
1998 Ace for sale - worth it?
« on: February 04, 2018, 21:13:40 »
Since spotting an Ace in north London (1996 or 97) I have thought about getting one. Not possible until recently. And now this:

https://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/used-car/adv/ac/ace/sat_3068_560232303108102

Simple question - are the post-Angliss cars not as good as the earlier ones?

I understand the chassis is different and the bonnet is plastic. The road tests were less favourable in 1998 than in 1994.

I do prefer the twin headlight/line on the door look, and have (aeroplane) connections to Brooklands, but recognise this could be my one chance before I am talked out of it by my better half.

David S

• View Profile
Re: 1998 Ace for sale - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 17:59:50 »
Harrier,

that is a very subjective point - I have not driven an Angliss car so hard to comment  and therefore leave to others to comment but I own DE1061 which is the first post Angliss Ace.
AC did make changes to the post Angliss cars, these being:

Chassis - is suppose to be 20% lighter by reducing number of welds by 50%, ground clearance improved, its states "structural integrity improved and more space"
they modified the front and rear subframes to be stronger / lighter and also modified the suspension geometry

Body, the bonnets was changed from Aluminum to a Carbon Fibre composite with lights to now rectangular (from Mazda 323)

which AC states  saves 120kg

AC did seem to get the suspension geometry wrong and the initial build quality was poor - but I think the build quality improved following the poor test reports from DE1061, certainly Autocar tested a blue supercharger and made comment on the improvement in build quality. But even then there was still some issues like the suspension geometry.

There is only 9 that were built during the 1997 - 2003 period how many were actual built at Brooklands from this period I do not think is clear but Hawk289 (AC Brooklands Ace Registrar) has stated that AC Brooklands was involved with each car.

I would go and see it take it for a drive - these are GT's not sports cars and will be great to drive on a summers day.

Maybe Hawk can offer more information

Shamea2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 21:24:56 »
Harrier,

I concur with everything that David has already said.

I had hoped that one of the club members who could have provided a comparison might have responded which is why I didn't comment earlier.

I've had mine for a year and a half (S500ACE). The car has been great on a daily basis for going to work and better on long journeys.

The intermittent wiper function and light switch didn't work when I bought it it and I've renewed the rear springs and shocks which were badly worn (about £700.00).

It doesn't accelerate like a Lotus 7 or 5ltr TVR Griffith but its a HELL of a fun car to drive.

The one your looking at also seems cheap.

As David said, give it a test drive. You'll fall in love with it. I did.

Nigel
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 21:03:59 by Shamea2 »

Harrier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 23:16:35 »
David/Nigel,

Thanks. 120Kg weight loss must make a difference, but surely the original bonnet was made of lead to save that? Would have altered the balance too, which may explain the bad review. Is it an overall saving (chassis etc. too)?

I like the Ace as it is not 'all out' like a TVR, but can be used everyday, although it wouldn't be.

Does seem cheap, but the Midlands beckon it seems, if only to see why. Not much chance to get the top down in this weather though.

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:29:16 »
Have you checked its MOT history? https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

It has spent a long time barely being used with quite a lot of trivial problems and a period of not having an odometer, so need to be careful.

I would ask about its ownership and service history (booklet and invoices) before committing to view. But very tempting.
Barbara

Harrier

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 18:14:45 »
Thanks Graham. The MOT history does not look too encouraging.

I e-mailed the seller via the website to ask more, but have had no reply. The website sent a message saying I should have heard by now so I assume there is a reason for not replying. Not a good sign.

I have looked into the differences a bit more. A Car article from 1992, testing the prototype  with the pop up lights, says it would be re-engineered for production. A year later and Setright seems happy enough with an early production car. He also gives the same weight as the later, South African V8 car so I am not clear where the 120kg came from, or went to.

The 1998 press info almost makes the re-engineered version sound like a new car. Overall, I am not clear what an Ace is anymore! The one Setright drove seems, and looks, good though.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 20:40:25 »
Looks nice!
Contact PAUL GREASLEY CARS directly.
Good luck.