Author Topic: AC Royale Wiring  (Read 5410 times)

j9nno

• View Profile
AC Royale Wiring
« on: January 16, 2018, 14:41:18 »
Hi Guys,

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the Royale ?

Particularly interested in the main dash CAV switch panel.

Need to understand the way that the dynamo wires in.

Thanks.

John

j9nno

• View Profile
Re: AC Royale Wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 22:56:11 »
Hi Guys,

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the Royale ?

Particularly interested in the main dash CAV switch panel.

Need to understand the way that the dynamo wires in.

Thanks.

John

Anyone got any diagrams or can explain/show the cabling from a three lug dynamo to the voltage regulator ?
I could then probably work out the the wiring into the switch panel.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

Jam2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 05:42:51 »
Apologies, I can’t help directly, have you googled ‘3 brush dynamo’ there are a lot of diagrams there, you may be able to deduce the correct connections.

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:27 »
j9nno, I've sent you a pm for your Email address.

I can send you wiring diagrams for vintage AC's plus diagrams for the three-brush system on, for example, 4-cyl Arrol-Johnstone, Standard 12/24 and Alvis 12/50.

j9nno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 16:51:31 »
Some progress today but still require help.

Does anyone know the 2 main terminal designations (of a 3 terminal dynamo as fitted to the AC Royal) as D- and D+ ?

The control box on the bulkhead is in fact a 'Type E 12v cut-out' and not a regulator.

It is marked up as D-, B- and D+ (Looking at it and reading left to right) but I don't know which dynamo terminal is which (yes I've searched the net).

Then all I need to do is sort out Dynamo switch cabling at dash panel (to switch dynamo in/out when running lights so as to top up battery)

Any help appreciated.

John

j9nno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 19:02:14 »
Hi guys,

There's not a lot on the internet that covers the 3 terminal setup used on the Royal. It's all mainly Austin 7 which has an adjustable 'Field' brush.

Having established now that the control box is in fact a 'cut out' and not a regulator I've made slow progress.

The cut out is a Type E. It has 3 terminals D-, B+ and D+

On metering and using the rearmost terminal on the dynamo as the 'Field' the terminal nearest the front of the engine would appear to be D+ and the next terminal D-

As the vehicle is positive earth I'm guessing that the D- has to switch thru to the battery feed side of the starter button so it can charge the battery when the Dynamo dash switch is on ?

Does anyone know what polarity the top half of the switch panel should be as it is totally insulated and could be wired either way.

John

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 21:59:00 »
Barbara

j9nno

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 21:40:20 »
Thanks Graham I've seen this Austin stuff already.

Unfortunately, and as far as I can see, there is no adjustment for the field brush on the CAV dynamo fitted to the Royal. Neither is there an earth on the cut out.
You simply switch the charging on when driving via the panel switch on the dashboard. After a period you switch the dynamo out of charging. When running switched out I guess that there is minimal charging to the battery and you switch dynamo in when running lights at night.

It's unlikely we will drive the car at night and would trickle/condition charge the battery when parked up.

I just want to get the wiring completed as designed.

Maybe a meet up with a Royal owner so I could meter out the connections is the way forward.

I live near liverpool so who is closest ?

John

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 22:37:11 »
Sorry I can't help, John. I've looked in all my old reference books to no avail. Have you talked to Clive Bowyer, he seems the most knowledgeable on the vintage cars? Graham.
Barbara

j9nno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 16:05:40 »
Thanks for trying Graham.

I don't know Clive.

Do you know his member name as I can't find him listed in the members profiles.

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 23:35:22 »
If I recall it is Old Crock.
Barbara

acsale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 23:20:11 »
Hi John
I live in Australia and have only just picked up your thread - slow mail!!
I think I have the diagram you are seeking, I used it back in the eighties on my own Royale and has worked without any problems.
I have had some difficulty attaching file so may be too large for system.
I'm using Apple Mac and have compressed the attached file, so unsure what might arrive.
If we are unsuccessful i'll need an email address or some other method/advice to negotiate the site.
Richard